Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to Wisconsin and picked up my eBay purchase, which was a 1994 Ford B-700 School bus and drove it home. It stayed a school bus for about 6 months, I drove it all around town! Then just this summer, we pulled the engine and transmission at the salvage yard. I sold the transmission, (Allison AT545.) and I'm currently re-gasketing the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
International Harvester symbol behind my cam gear. I must have the rare IHC/Cummins 5.9L diesel!:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
The International 5.9L is the rarest of all, it can only be found in right hand drive tanks and school buses. The engine itself is said to have uncommon characteristics such as a very large muffler bearing and a reverse rotation inline VE fuel pump, you have something to hold onto there.
All joking aside I am placing a 4BT into an F-350 as well but my next project is a 6BTA into a 94 Superduty. I have the truck, and have found a brand new 6BTA still in the Cummins Crate. Gotta finish one first before I start the next.
Good luck, I hope to compare notes as we could probably help each other.

Kendall

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the www.destroked.com transmission adapter plate. Ford 460 gas to Cummins 12 valve. It uses the 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L Power Stroke diesel starter. It only uses the NV 4500 5-speed flywheel. The 6-speed flywheel does not work due to ring gear spacing. Don't ask me how I know that!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Heres some truck photos.
It started life as a F-350 crew cab 4x4 dually, with the 7.5L 460 gas, the ZF-5 speed manual, and the BW 1356 transfer case. Now its a SRW (single rear wheel) truck with the SKY Manufacturing shackle reversal 3" lift kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my cylinder head back today. It had to have 7 thousandths removed in order to make it flat again. Head is now ready to be installed. Now for the next steps.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Very cool. I can't believe a 5.9 powered that massive school bus :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
when i did my ford cummins conversion...... i started with a commercial motor much like yourself

i know you already have it all mapped out but i figured id throw a couple of things into the mix.

i used the kenworth raised AC mount assembly and dodge AC compressor.

dodge nv5600, NP241 hd and dodge slave cylinder with ford hydraulic line and dodge slave cylinder 94-97 setup worked awesome no complaints.

I initially started out the route of the zf 5spd but i opted out of that when i drove a 5.9 with a 5spd and realized how much more useful the 6spd was when towing.

good luck if you have any questions i'd be glad to help. little things like the 89-93 dodges uses a lower fan hub assembly by 3/4" which helps with radiator clearance. and as you probably already know the 90* down turbo mount clears the heater box on a ford better than the dodge manifold. thought he dodge manifold never melted anything.

consider twins while you are at it. the added cost is only about $1200 when the rmotor is out of the truck and worth EVERY penny with mild injectors a fuel plate and twins life is really well balanced. tuck it tight to the block and you'll be good.

good luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the positive comments!

dieselcruiserhead, Yeah, it was a fun trip back home! 1300 miles at 60mph :hillbilly:

dusty, I have changed my mind several times since the start of the project on what transmission to use, I originally wanted a setup like what you mentioned, but could not find one for a reasonable price. I met Scott from Destroked when he first started the business, I got the first adapter he made for the ZF 460 gas at a very reasonable price, so I could not refuse. :grinpimp:

I am using a 2004 common rail turbo and manifold. The CR manifold is the 90* down style. (Also bought from Destroked, and at a killer deal!)

What injectors are best? I sold my old ones, because they were junk. I am looking for some for under $300.00

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2004 Cummins Common Rail Turbo & Manifold On 1994 12 Valve.

Pics of the turbo and manifold:

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
since you are doing a new HG do head studs while you are at it. you'll thank yourself later.

what you will find is the 12v with stock injectors and small fuel plate can get cooking real fast with an hx35/12 or hx35/14 so a HY35/9 is small in comparison. the 12vs especially the commercial 12v's have a tendancy to like exhaust housings that flow more. witha hybrid 60mm hx35/14 on a 175hp 12v anything over a 250 hp fuel plate would get warm on long pulls with a trailer, with the 60mm/12 hx35 it would spool up extremly fast but could not keep temps down on long grades. I ended up modifyling the 14sm housing to WG both ports instead of just one. then late i upgraded to a 62/14 HTB2 turbo which which flows as much as a holset 16sm housing and it did a much better job of cooling the motor whehn towing on long grades, though my injectors were still stock at that time and i ended up not being able to light the turbo fast enough so i down graded to a 12cm housing and was happy till i added 370 marine injectors thats when the twins came into play.

there is something about the 12v cam grinds increasing cylinder pressures at lower rpm levels and exhaust gas flow#'s contributes to the different spool characterisitics and higher EGT's at lower rpms between the 24v VP, later 3rd gen motors and the 12v's, especially when you add more fuel to them.

Food for thought

Looking Good

·
Registered
3 Posts
...I'm currently re-gasketing the engine.
What prompted you to regasket the engine?

I just bought a 6BT from a wrecked school bus application (72 passenger pusher bus) for my '82 chevy 3/4 ton so this thread was a good read. I may have some other questions as I tear into things. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What prompted you to regasket the engine?

I just bought a 6BT from a wrecked school bus application (72 passenger pusher bus) for my '82 chevy 3/4 ton so this thread was a good read. I may have some other questions as I tear into things. :)
I want to have a leak free & clean engine, I know that eventually it will leak, but I figured well it was out, I should go for it. I thought "Do it right the first time." As for the other question, I bought the bus for $2651.00. Not too bad of a deal I guess. I sold the transmission for $450.00 and the bus for $300.00 so now I have a $1901.00 engine :D. I am getting real close to getting the engine all buttoned up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My new car. TOTALLY OFF TOPIC!

Well, long gone is the dead-engine Ford Explorer. Now I have this little scoot. So far I've got 30.6 MPG with it. Its a 2000 VW Jetta 5-speed manual with the 2.0L gas. (Wish it was a TDI.)

As for the cummins project, well, um.....its still in the garage looking like post# 2. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Off-Topic

Four wheelin' in Leadville, Co
Vibrant colors this time of year!
Sorry for the poor image quality, its a copy of a copy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shameless bump. For those who forgot F350JOHN...

Ttt

·
Registered
269 Posts
Have not forgot, but I do know the feeling, have you been able to get any progress at all? I just removed a set of electric fans from an olds 88 tonight, gonna see if I can use them or not. Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not yet, with all of lifes little distractions...like work, new hobbies (VW Jetta) and so on. I gotta get it finished.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts