Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am able to grab a F3L912 in good running order they're scrapping at work (the roller it's in is U/S). I want to put a turbo on it and put in my chev blitz (aussie built Canadian CMP C15A) to replace the infuriating 216, purely as an offroad vehicle. Mating it to a trans will be a challenge though... It has an industrial flywheel, it seems there aren't really any automotive 912s in the country, let alone available flywheels (that I can find anyway). What would be my chances of machining a useable clutch surface and D&Ting the industrial flywheel for a pressure plate? Would I be better off finding a similar flywheel and making it fit? This will never be going at road speeds, and isn't a big heavy vehicle pulling large loads... But I wouldn't really want something too dodgy either!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I don't know, sometimes it is just too much brain damage to do some dreams. I can't help on the Deutz. Perhaps, even a Gamma Goat, 3 cyl. Detroit will bolt right up to most GM transmissions.

I have always wanted a Small, GM CMP, but they are really hard to find in the States, or they are rusted out.

Ed

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you're right, but then sometimes things can fall together unexpectantly too... we never got game goats, and 3-53s are pretty rare too. Shame as I have plenty of 6v53 parts - would love a 3-53 for it but I can get this 912 for free. Most sensible would be an I6 Landcruiser engine but again would mean spending money! Plenty of CMPs here - rust isn't an issue locally. Shame we can't do a trade...

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Wedgy,
Is this the dished flywheel? Should be able to modify it to take a clutch.
Good chance the Flywheel housing is SAE pattern.
The bolt patterns on both the engine side and the gearbox will determine how thick a spacer is needed to bolt them together then the fun part of is the input shaft long enough to reach the clutch.
Break out the tape.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply blackduck... Yes it's dished - I was thinking you could just cut the outer rim off and d&t for a pressure plate... I also reckon it's SAE, 3 at a guess. When people adapt these sorts do they leave the flywheel housing and adapt/make a new clutch housing or make a whole new one piece bell housing? Yeah the input shaft could be an issue. If I left the flywheel housing on and adapted the original bell housing it would need a heaps longer shaft as it bolts to the back of the block on the 216... I guess I could space the flywheel? But then there'd be starter issues...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
At least in the United States, there are a few of the 1980's Iveco box trucks around with the Deutz F5L912 100hp diesel engine. Any chance they were imported into Australia? The flywheel from one would save you a lot of aggravation. I believe the Deutz EPA engines that you could buy in 1977-1981 used a flat SAE flywheel, as they were commonly bolted to the Fiat/Iveco five speed transmissions or the four speed Borg Warner T-19. Im not sure what your aspirations with that vehicle are, but a good figure is 20 horsepower per cylinder on a 912 series naturally aspirated engine, 25 horsepower per cylinder on the turbocharger BF_L913's. The engine might be a little under powered for the job at hand...

Chris

·
Premium Member
909 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least in the United States, there are a few of the 1980's Iveco box trucks around with the Deutz F5L912 100hp diesel engine. Any chance they were imported into Australia? The flywheel from one would save you a lot of aggravation. I believe the Deutz EPA engines that you could buy in 1977-1981 used a flat SAE flywheel, as they were commonly bolted to the Fiat/Iveco five speed transmissions or the four speed Borg Warner T-19. Im not sure what your aspirations with that vehicle are, but a good figure is 20 horsepower per cylinder on a 912 series naturally aspirated engine, 25 horsepower per cylinder on the turbocharger BF_L913's. The engine might be a little under powered for the job at hand...

Chris
no we never got those iveco vans. iveco are a pretty recent brand name to be imported here. That sort of power level is OK, although I was hoping I might get a little more than 75hp out of it, it would still be fine. I'm not planning on putting it on the road and it'll mostly just be crawling round the 22000 acre property - gearing is very low and the 216 is no power house anyway

Wedgy,
Does the current gearbox have a separate clutch housing or is it all one piece with the gearbox housing?
If separate you maybe able to make up new housing.
Have the SAE drawings here somewhere.
Cheers Steve
Update View attachment 97745
If this will not open I can PM it

Updated again
Maybe easier to read here, flywheel spec's on last page

http://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF/SAE_flywheels-housings_Jan07.pdf
Thanks, that's a good reference. Gearbox has a one piece housing - same as most petrols I've seen... Pretty sure there were no two piece housings for these old crash boxes (They're a GTK-134 or something with similar digits). I think that's going to make it hard for me unless I try and do away with the flywheel housing?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Been awhile since I have been near a Deutz, if the flywheel housing just bolts to the block then a flat plate adaptor may work with your clutch housing.
Headache will be putting the flywheel on a diet. That is if the flywheel will fit inside the Blitz housing.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Headache will be putting the flywheel on a diet. That is if the flywheel will fit inside the Blitz housing.
Cheers Steve
For sure, that would be a show stopper. It would mean getting an SAE box I reckon if I really want to go the deutz route... Can't remember how the starter mounts too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts