Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help me.

My 4BD1T has a M16 x 1.5 threaded thermo fan switch fitted. I'm using one from a Honda which looks like this:

I'm looking for a connector (or connector and wiring pigtails) to fit instead of using bullet connectors. Same switch was used in a lot of stuff but searching for connectors is a mine-field.

I'd happily switch to any other M16 thermo fan switch (two wire) if I can find a nice combo of available switches and connectors that I can just buy and wire in.

·
Super Moderator
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Adding links here for future reference. Here is a place that sells OEM style connectors for motorbikes and lists them by application:

If someone did that for cars it would be a huge help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dougal,

Have you looked at Digikey? They carry an assortment of automotive sensors and related connectors. I got some temperature sensors from them not too long ago. While it may not be the right one for your setup: digikey part # 235-1617-ND = sensor, 889-1216-ND = mating connector - this hopefully will at least get you in the right spot.

Cj

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This probably isn't terribly helpful, but I've been using a thermal switch like that from a BMW (I think, it's been a while) but it has 2 spades on top. Probably easier to source a plug for. 16mm threads IIRC.

I just used two 90° crimp on spade connectors for that application.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dougal.... I know exactly how you feel in regards to Digikey... 889-1242-ND <- I think this is a kit with both ends.

Cj

·
Super Moderator
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dougal.... I know exactly how you feel in regards to Digikey... 889-1242-ND <- I think this is a kit with both ends.

Cj
Yeah that's a Deutsch connector. Fantastic things which are easy to take apart again too. I've got a whole box full of those and will splice them onto that Tridon TFS143 if I go that route.

·
Super Moderator
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you guys think for temp range?

My thermostat is I think 82C (180F) opening. The above Tridon switch is 90C on and 85C off (194185F). Which seems like it might be a bit cold since it's placed right in the thermostat housing. The hottest part of the whole circuit.

The temperature ranges in the current catalog are different to the 85/80C on the graphic above. 85/80C seems too cold to be any use.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Dougal,
I like the fan to cut in just over the full open temperature of the thermostat. Allows full coolant flow when needed and helps maintain good block temperature without cycling the thermostat.
Next trick if you cannot find a switch in the range is to look at installing the switch in the discharge side of the radiator to maintain a steady temperature into the engine ( think late model engines with the thermostat on the inlet, designed to reduce thermal shock on the engine) Think Cat had a temperature rise across the engine of around 15 degrees, unfortunately no longer have access to all the manuals that I used to have.
Cheers Steve
PS pull up the Tridon catalogue on fan switch's, will keep you busy for a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dougal,
I like the fan to cut in just over the full open temperature of the thermostat. Allows full coolant flow when needed and helps maintain good block temperature without cycling the thermostat.
Next trick if you cannot find a switch in the range is to look at installing the switch in the discharge side of the radiator to maintain a steady temperature into the engine ( think late model engines with the thermostat on the inlet, designed to reduce thermal shock on the engine) Think Cat had a temperature rise across the engine of around 15 degrees, unfortunately no longer have access to all the manuals that I used to have.
Cheers Steve
PS pull up the Tridon catalogue on fan switch's, will keep you busy for a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the Heavy Duty market, Kysor had a nice variety of temperature and pressure switches, including dual function normally open and normally closed. They also published temp guidelines based on thermostat opening for fan circuit.

·
Super Moderator
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tridon TFS148 looks like a suitable candidate. It's Subaru, similar to above but different temp range:

I agree that a radiator location would be better for maintaining temperature. But that would require radiator modifications and wiring loom extensions. This one can get me sorted and reliable for $40 and half an hour.

I called Tridon about a water gauge sender. I wanted to see if they had one with the same resistance range as a catalogue item but different threads. They couldn't help and told me they are manufactured as they are and they don't have that data.
But the catalogues are still a wealth of data.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts