Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have just had a little crisis. My Dodge has had a accident:eek: So I am driving a 87 Chevy 1500, 2wd, 700r4 tanny, and probably a 3.54 rear-end. The reason for the high rear-end is because this thing only gets about 12 mpg @ 60mph on the highway, much less in town. It has a TBI 350 in it. The trans has about 60,000 miles on it. I would like to make this a daily driver after I buy it off my parents. So to get a good looking Burb get mpg, I think a 4bt Cummins will help. This will be a DD and very rarely have a trailer.

I know, you might be thinking that a 87 is too old. WRONG! The number of rust spots on the body I can count on my left hand and the frame still has paint on about 65-75% of it. It has full power accessories, even rear AC:D

How would the tranny hold up and will I have to get HD front springs? It has had a 454 in before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
You'd need a different stall torque converter & probably a pump upgrade/rebuild to run a 4BT. Stock springs might be ok, but they'd sag a bit - I'm sure it ran with plenty of rake with a 454 in it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the 700r4 will probably hold up to DD use. You will need a diesel converter and you will probably need to mess around with the governor. I've got a 700r4 out of a diesel. It shifts a little bit high, but does seem to work.

You will need to custom wire the lockup, but that's not a huge deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know how it ran with a 454 other than it sucked gas like a fish in water:D We got it from our pastor who took 2 burbs and made 1 good one.

Durango, is there a write-up onmessing with the governor? Also where to get a new TQ converter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I do not know how it ran with a 454 other than it sucked gas like a fish in water:D We got it from our pastor who took 2 burbs and made 1 good one.

Durango, is there a write-up onmessing with the governor? Also where to get a new TQ converter?

Thanks!
I don't recall off hand where there is information on the governor. It is out there though, b&m i think it is makes a kit. I want to say they have a decent writeup on it on their website too...

the converter depends on how much you want to spend. If you just want stock level, stock stall (1200-1400) you can go with www.bulkpart.com or just about anywhere. I'm not sure on where the best place to get an after market converter is though. There are a few on here that have them though, just do a search. You will need to convert the bolt pattern of the converter, it is 10.75" vs 11.5" for the th400. I solved this problem with an adapter ring. Unfortunately my server is down so I don't have any pictures online. I'm moving so it may be a few days until i can get everything transferred to my new host.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts