Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 87 2wd Chevy Burb with a 350tbi in it. Gets about 14mpg with a tail wind (literally!). I have a wrecked 93 W250(my truck in the sig:( ) with a D70 rear, D60 front and a 6bt. Now I want to keep it 2wd so I was thinking about taking the D70, putting it under the rear, get HD 3/4T springs for the front, a little arm and hammer, elbow grease and winter to get a 6bt Burb. I know I have have to smash the dog house a little but I am willing to work.

Now the question I have is this, will it be able to take the Cummins torque as is or will I have to box the frame a little? It still has paint on most of it. I have the engine, rear, and wiring but I need a 727 or A518 (I can scrounge around here) and front springs (Have a friend with a wreck Burb that has a 6.2L diesel). So cost will be minimal. The most I think would be boxing the frame and R&R.

You think it will work?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I have a 87 2wd Chevy Burb with a 350tbi in it. Gets about 14mpg with a tail wind (literally!). I have a wrecked 93 W250(my truck in the sig:( ) with a D70 rear, D60 front and a 6bt. Now I want to keep it 2wd so I was thinking about taking the D70, putting it under the rear, get HD 3/4T springs for the front, a little arm and hammer, elbow grease and winter to get a 6bt Burb. I know I have have to smash the dog house a little but I am willing to work.

Now the question I have is this, will it be able to take the Cummins torque as is or will I have to box the frame a little? It still has paint on most of it. I have the engine, rear, and wiring but I need a 727 or A518 (I can scrounge around here) and front springs (Have a friend with a wreck Burb that has a 6.2L diesel). So cost will be minimal. The most I think would be boxing the frame and R&R.

You think it will work?
It will work fine , no need to box the frame unless you want to .No need to change rear axle ,unless the stock one in wore out or plan to pull any trailers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If '87 is still the big square model I say H*ll yes! The first gen Rams were big square things and 20+ mpg is pretty regular.

With a three speed auto tranny you MAY want to put low 3.xx gears in the rearend. And be sure you use a lock up convertor for the mileage!

My '03 Ram is at it's most efficient at 1750 to 1850 RPM, so that's what I'd shoot for at your desired cruise speed!

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you need a good 2wd Suburban frame - i've got one, a 3/4 ton from my old 1987 suburban - 14 Bolt Full Floater, 3.73 w/ Gov-lock & 8 lugs all the way around, very, very clean frame. It came with a 454 - boxing the frame shouldn't be an issue on a FS chevy frame for a 2wd. The 4wd versions were weak around the steering box & tended to crack under stress/abuse.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, now it might not happen. I happend upon a 88 GMC 3+3 (Dually 4x4), mint cab! Paint on the frame still, flat bed, Crew cab. We will see when I get a call back from the owner....

I have a source of 3/4T Burbs. My best friend Dad is a old school mechanic and he has about 3 whole ones and enough parts to make another 3!:idea: None of them are 4x4 but one has a 6.2 in it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, seen that one.

Really good job to who ever did it.

But my problem is the tranny (which one) and how to shove a straight 6 in where a V8 was. A straight 4 is a little easier....

·
Registered
176 Posts
That would be mine :) ...almost finished. The engine was too high and had to lower it an inch. Wait until I post pics of the oil pan to see what kind of mods it received:eek:

Since putting in the 4Bt, the transmission and everything stayed in their stock locations. I measured for a 6B and I estimate the tranny would have to be slid back 2-3 inches. If not, then the fan or pulley would interfere with the radiator, not that I would put a 6B in front of a 700R4:hillbilly:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yep, seen that one.

Really good job to who ever did it.

But my problem is the tranny (which one) and how to shove a straight 6 in where a V8 was. A straight 4 is a little easier....
I am not sure how everyone else is doing it, but I kept the factory transmission location due to not wanting to modify drive shafts. In doing this it put the engine very close to the radiator. I ended up shoehorning two small electric fans between accessories. I have about 1/2" clearance on both fans. It was a tight fit, but worked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts