Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And.. It's good! The Frito Lay truck had about 186K on it (that was the estimate on the odometer -- it could have maybe been 86K - that would be sweet).. Anyway, about 350 psi almost across the board.. The longer I ran it, making it a little warmer, the better it got.. Went from about 330, to 350, 350, then about 350-360ish on #4.. I am only assuming the increase is because of the increased heat from turning it.. The engine is semi-disassembled (no injection pump, etc) so I was not able to start it to get it warm...

Anyway, I used a cheapo Harbor Freight compression tester.. There is a kit that is as low as $25 when on sale. It does not advertise that there is a Cummins B series tester, but sure enough there is.. I bought it, started going all around the state trying to find a matching adapter but couldn't.. Then one night, started messing around with the adapters I had, and sure enough the bottom right adapter is the right Cummins..

I don't stand to far behind Harbor Freight but it is useful for at least semi-knowing whether the engine is in good shape.. We also did a friend's Isuzu 4BD1T motor (very similar to 4BTs, from their cab over trucks).. Unfortunately has low compression in #1 cyl :(

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The tester kit.. Bottom right is the Cummins adapter... Pic of gauge is a little after I stopped turning it and there was some leak down fairly quickly.. I imagine this is normal...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also this is something I was super paranoid about for some reason.. I imagine I'll have to do a rebuild some day.. But nice to at least know its in good shape for now...

Here was the original thread about it...
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
The tester kit.. Bottom right is the Cummins adapter... Pic of gauge is a little after I stopped turning it and there was some leak down fairly quickly.. I imagine this is normal...
Thanks Andre,
I to bought that kit a while ago and was bumed that it did not have an adaptor for Cummiins. Now I know better.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think a feller might check his threads in head before ordering. Older heads will have course threads and newer heads will have fine.
I've got a few homade adaptors and will try to get some pic's tonight. :beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts