Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After collecting parts for most of the summer, I finally pulled the 360 gasser out of the Town Wagon yesterday. I've been reading all I can on this forum and feel lucky to have the technical know how found here. Planning on running a duel fuel set-up, and upgrading to 4 wheel power disc brakes and power steering. Still debating about popping the body off and replacing rubber bushings, etc. Will try to post pics as I go.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Howdy 61TWPW!!!

I just did a Town Wagon/4BT swap last year, couldn't be happier with it! I also pulled out the 360 that was in it.

I changed all my body insulator rubbers without pulling body of. Once you get the fasteners loose just jack the body up with bottle jacks and some wide wood padding and it's real easy. Might double check your front cab mounts, as probing hard with a screwdriver even if it looks good. Notorious rust out location on these trucks, just like in the back where the pure genius sliding window drains leak.

On my swap I fabbed up some sugar-scoop shaped boxes out of 1/2" plate to fit in the frame, and rubber engine mount isolators then fit directly on top. It was possible to just grind off the rivets on the stock frame mounts, and use 2 of those holes for the new mounts, and only had to drill for top bolts and 2 more backside bolts.

Mopar warns in all of the old litereature: NEVER cut or weld on the frame, except for the section all the way at back, between last crossmember and rear bumper: heat tempered steel!

I used some old hard 440 mounts as engine isolators, didn't work for squat for vibration. Planning to install some Fluidlastic mounts similar to stock P-30 mounts now. Fabbed a crossmember from a '78 D-200 as the rear mount for the NV4500 trans. Used some 400 engine mounts as rubber, again old hard rubber, poor vibration insulation.

Had to cut through the old Poly engine bellhousing crossmember for Cummins clearance. Got to cut real close to where that Poly X-member is riveted together in a sandwich, right next to frame rails, in order to get clearance for the Cummins starter. I set engine low, floors are completely flat from firewall back! Setting engine higher would give more starter clearance, but requires a fabbed up doghouse. I replaced all front floors with 3/16" plate, and reinforced all the seat mounting area with 1" square tubing underneath, much more solid now!

I used the stock NP435 hydraulic clutch master & slave, drilled & tapped NV4500 to bolt slave directly to it. Fabricated a steel pushrod out of a Grade 8 Bolt for the slave. Had Tom Wood's build me a custom driveshaft, he's pretty close to you there, check the net. Used the '78 D-200 Dana 60HD rearend, 4.1 ratio. Perfect gearset with the NV trans.

Enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JimmieD...is you TW a power wagon as well? I couldn't resist this afternoon and set the cummins in the engine bay. I think the PW version sets high enough the bell housing won't be an issue. I bought the complete master/slave set-up from a 2001 Dodge cummins. It appears it will bolt up with no problem. Also picked up the transmission cross member for the nv4500. My cross member was a piece of 4" channel someone used along the line. Why couldn't I just remove the old bellhousing cross member completely? What mileage are you getting? My differentials are 4:10's as well. What size tires are you running?
ColoradoJeep Guy2... Thanks for the opportunity to take pics. After looking at my 4bt, I will need to take a few more. I'll be ready for that power steering unit pretty soon. Got any prices in mind?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nope, I'm 2X on mine. Was going to stick my '90 Ram running gear under but decided against for various reasons.

I cut my X-member and haven't finished building a saddle to fit in place of part removed. I feel it's good to have some kind of crossmember up front there for the sake of controling frame flex. No problems yet, but I may end up haveing to do some frame straightening when I get that piece in, don't know.

I'm running some funky 8.75-16.5 tires right now. Mileage is from very high 20's to 30-32 on the highway, but remember that's 2X4, not 4X4!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was extremely lucky to be trusted with this truck and it is now in my possession I will add to this thread when I take some pictures.

·
Registered
131 Posts
1961 4x4 Power Wagon Town Wagon. It has a 4BT/NV4500/NP205 It is pretty far along Bill the previous Owner has put 10,000 + miles on the conversion. It is currently not running and needs a lot of exterior and interior work and some drive train work..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Update The previous owner had the VE pump rebuilt when he re installed it the drive key (woodruff) fell out during installation without him noticing. Trying to source a new key and re zero the VE pump so I can re install it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
smaller town wagon.jpg
The Town Wagon as I picked it up on my trailer if you look closely you can see the FJ40 I traded for it in the background.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If anyone was wondering the BOSCH part number for the Bosch VE injection pump woodruff key is 1460023307 . It took quite a bit of searching to find the # and it only comes in a 5 pack.

Reactions: Thottledoc

·
Registered
131 Posts
Man I can not get this truck to run I bled everything, Pump is in time it will not run I don't get it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I had an engine that had stuck injector pintles, maybe pull an injector and see if it sprays or send them to be tested?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dieseldude thanks for the reply I will give that a try.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pulled the timing cover and found the drive gear to be advanced 6 teeth!! No wonder it didn't want to run. Also, found a pretty big crack in the gear. So another trip to pay Cummins another $300 and it runs. I must say this truck is flat out fast when it gets into the boost and quieter than I thought it would be.
IP Pump wrong Timing.jpg IP pump Crack.jpg

Reactions: Adventure_Wagon88

·
Registered
131 Posts
Made a intake and registered the truck today. Now to start driving it and figuring out which parts need addressing. I also removed the veggie system because it just isn't my interest.
Engine Compartment.jpg

·
Registered
784 Posts
How did it get advanced 6 teeth.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How did it get advanced 6 teeth.
I am guessing it is from multiple attempts at installing the pump. Or the giant crack was making it bounce. Either way it runs great now.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts