Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put something on my firewall to keep the heat away. I was going to wrap my dp but was told that it a bad idea.

Anyone know what might be a good heat barrier that is only 1/2 thick?

thanks Joe

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I have about 1" away from my firewall. Does this have a sticky side like dynomat?

Is there a web site I can check this out at?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I need to put something on my firewall to keep the heat away. I was going to wrap my dp but was told that it a bad idea.

Anyone know what might be a good heat barrier that is only 1/2 thick?

thanks Joe
I have wrapped my DP and covered firewall. Why did they say covering the DP was a bad idea. Justs keeps heat in the exhaust where it should be IMO. Are these people telling you this trying to sell the firewall stuff and don't stock the DP wrap by any chance?

Gaza

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have wrapped my DP and covered firewall. Why did they say covering the DP was a bad idea. Justs keeps heat in the exhaust where it should be IMO. Are these people telling you this trying to sell the firewall stuff and don't stock the DP wrap by any chance?

Gaza
From what I read it will rust your pipe out and there is a good chance you can crack your manifold because of to much heat. I have no opinion easier way on what to do but I do not want to replace my dp anytime soon:( .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
808 Posts

Gaza
The DP on my Carryall is wrapped with 1" Ceramic insulation with a foil face. I have over 7000 miles, not a problem. I have seen very large industrial generators with the exhaust pipes and mufflers wrapped in insulation.

Paul

·
Registered
696 Posts
From what I read it will rust your pipe out and there is a good chance you can crack your manifold because of to much heat. I have no opinion easier way on what to do but I do not want to replace my dp anytime soon:( .
Maybe steel but I made mine out of stainless, never heard of it cracking the manifold.

Gaza

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
The heat can't crack it. The only diesel exhausts I've heard of rusting out were guys in real coastal environments or driving on salted roads.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well from what I am reading and searching. If you rap the dp it keeps the moisture in and rusts pretty quick. Same goes for the manifold if you rap that the heat is to much and can't escape. The ats 3 piece does not crack if rapped from what is found out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you are worried about rust, then just get a stainless mandrel bend for the downpipe and wrap that. I think you are getting confusing information from guys talking about wrapping headers pre turbo. In that case mild steel can and will crack, but it will even without wrapping if it is too thin. Post turbo it should not be a problem at all.

As for a heat shield, I would use a peice of thin sheet metal mounted to the fire wall with standoffs for about a 1/2" air gap over the thin stick-on foil. Air is a wonderful insulator in addition to a thin insulator coating.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well from what I am reading and searching. If you rap the dp it keeps the moisture in and rusts pretty quick. Same goes for the manifold if you rap that the heat is to much and can't escape. The ats 3 piece does not crack if rapped from what is found out.
I made my full exhaust out of stainless, I can't see the point in putting alot of time into making a one off exhaust only to have to make it all again in 3-4 years. I wouldn't have saved much anyway. As for the cast manifold, its the heat in the exhaust that drives the turbo thats why I wrapped it. Also if my manifold was supposed to lose heat it would have been cast with fins to dissipate the heat. I can't see the wrap holding much water on the manifold anyway as it will be that hot while running the water would turn to steam and certainly be dry by the time the motor was turned off. If you have been giving the motor some stick then you should be letting it tickover for a couple of minutes to cool the turbo down anyway and this will also cool the manifold down. Wont wrapping allow it to cool slower anyway and cause it less stress?

Gaza

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
turbo & 66 I think you are both right. I just don't want future problems. My dp cost me $250 and I don't want it to go away to quickly:( .
Thanks for the posts and feedback

·
Registered
915 Posts
turbo & 66 I think you are both right. I just don't want future problems. My dp cost me $250 and I don't want it to go away to quickly:( .
Thanks for the posts and feedback
I understand....and wow, $250 for a down pipe. If you ever need another one built, I can custom build it for that ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I got mine from autoworld. Nice dp and I do not want to wait for another one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update...

Well I did go and get firewall heat protector. It is about 2/16 thick and it fits great. We will see how this works out. thanks guys for the imput.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the dp sits about 3/16 away from the firewall protector. As far as I can tell it does not hit or did not hit yet. Now as far as the heat goes it seems that it is doing its job. No one has complained in the pass seat,no fires yet,or no paint burning flaking yet. As a matter of fact I am going to try and get this engine to run hotter:eek: .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts