Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 85 300d OM617 california emissions engine, and will be swapping it into my 84 4runner. The california emissions version has the turbo mounted up higher than all other turbo 617s. It's pretty much flush with the top of the valve cover. Currently I am planning on keeping the intake and exhaust manifolds and making a straight pipe to replace the trap oxidizer. Or... swap to standard exhaust mani, and making a short manifold extension.

Either way I'm planning on leaving the turbo up high. Seems like it might be easier to route the exhaust, and I like the look of it right in your face.

Do you guys see any issue with it being up there? Heat on the hood maybe, or something I'm not thinking about?

I would be interested in a standard turbo manifold if anyone has one.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi,

I have an 85 300d OM617 california emissions engine, and will be swapping it into my 84 4runner. The california emissions version has the turbo mounted up higher than all other turbo 617s. It's pretty much flush with the top of the valve cover. Currently I am planning on keeping the intake and exhaust manifolds and making a straight pipe to replace the trap oxidizer. Or... swap to standard exhaust mani, and making a short manifold extension.

Either way I'm planning on leaving the turbo up high. Seems like it might be easier to route the exhaust, and I like the look of it right in your face.

Do you guys see any issue with it being up there? Heat on the hood maybe, or something I'm not thinking about?

I would be interested in a standard turbo manifold if anyone has one.

Thanks
The only thing I don't like about keeping the Cali manifold is the turbo is far away from the engine. The turbo needs to be as close to the engine as possible to be the most effective.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts