Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello everyone, good looking site you got here bounce

Second, I'm doing a 6BT into a 83 Chevy C10. Its going to be a street/strip truck and I'm shooting for about 450 horse (for now ;) .) I'm going to run a race turbo 400 trans with a manual valve body and whatnot, and I have the adaptor from the Cummins to Chevy trans. The adaptor kit I got has a stock torque converter out of the P30's. Does anyone have any experiance with one of these converters with that much horsepower? I've heard stories of t/c's balooning and forcing the crankshaft forward on the thrush bearings and making play in the crank.

and third, the flexplate I got has a busted tone ring on it. Anyone have a P/N for this tone ring from Cummins or GM? or anyone have one they wanna sell?

Thanks guys :beer:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let me tell you what a die hard Chevy man told me. He was a mechanic and he helped build up drag race vehicles. I told him I got a Dodge 727 Torque Flite for my diesel conversion. I then asked him what was better, the 727TF or the TH400. He said hands down the 727TF. And this was confirmed by a couple of other people.

But since you have the TH400 already, call someone like Goerend and have him build you a torque converter. The stock onewill NOT hold more than stock power. Also have the TH400 built for a diesel as the govenor is different between the gas and diesel versions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Let me tell you what a die hard Chevy man told me. He was a mechanic and he helped build up drag race vehicles. I told him I got a Dodge 727 Torque Flite for my diesel conversion. I then asked him what was better, the 727TF or the TH400. He said hands down the 727TF. And this was confirmed by a couple of other people.

The 727 may be more desireable to some of the pure race crowd because it is less complex internally and requires less HP to turn as compared to a TH400. Given a proper race prep by a competent tech, either is a good choice. As previously stated, the torque converter and trans should be be built specifically for your application for best results, regardless of which one you choose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll have to talk with my tranny guy (no not like that ;) ) and see what he can do for me.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I would also look at having a torque converter built that will eliminate the wave ring. There is no way I would put 1000+ lb/ft through one of those. It might be fine in a light truck like the C10, but if you are having one built they can probably do a billet backplate to mate directly to the flywheel. Next trick will be boring a hole in the engine plate so you can get to the bolts to tighten them from the engine side :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was considering that. Maybe I can do something on the bridgeport.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts