Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all of the readers of this I just want to tell you guys no matter how bad and fast you want to get your swap/conversion done just take your time and do everything right and double check everything. January 12th was my very first day ready for a test drive in the bronco. It was also my dads birthday. We woke up early and bleed the hydroboost and bolted in the seats. I fired her up and we took a couple runs up and down the block to make sure everything was working right it was soo soo awsome.

Next thing you know I going down the street to a local golfcourse about a mile or so from my house and the bronco got death wobble i tried to get it under control but couldnt the front end was shaking to bad and it went off the road and flipped upside down on the steel halfcab (I have no ROLL BAR) my father and I somehow managed to get out in less then 20 seconds and a person passing by gave us a ride to my house about a half mile up the road my brother and freinds then went to the seen and helped the tow truck firefighters and police. By looking at the wreck you would think that we were dead but somehow my 17 year old 6'3" 150pound body and my dads 6'6" body squeezed out. I have a torn muscle in my back and my dad broke his hand we are very very lucky and fortunate. Do to personal and graphic reasons I do not want to post any pictures of the broken. I have had the rig sense i was 14 and have been working on it sense getting it to teh condition it is in now I have over 35000 invested of my own hard working money into the car and over 300 hours of work into the truck. Althouhg I am very sad the Wreck happened I am very lucky to have my life.

Everyone that is working on your rigs just please double check every bolt and remember that your life is inot replacable.
HALFBREED

·
Registered
454 Posts
shit mate, that's terrible. you're both ok is probably the important detail right now. only a slow rollover and salvageable ? what a kick in the guts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
OMG! Horrible. Glad you guys are all right. Is it salvageable?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG! Horrible. Glad you guys are all right. Is it salvageable?

Yes it is salvageable but I am 17 and have no more money that i want to put into it and just need to let things settle for a while their is still the What ifs going on in my head and I dont know what I am going to do at this point as of right now I am going to let everything settle before I make any drastic decisions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow. I've experienced the dreaded early bronco death wobble. It's probably the most terrifying experience I've ever had in an truck. Glad you both are alright.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank God!

Thank God that you and your dad are OK! The 'ol Bronc may be battered and bruised, but it doesn't compare with a human life! Good luck on the road to recovery, both physically AND emotionally! I hope to see you fix up the 'ol girl again, if you feel up to it! Good Luck! Get well soon!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well there is definatly a reason they call it "death wobble"! after I lifted my dodge with 22.5in wheels, I was driving arround a corner at about 60 when it happpened... I about chit my pants, and dont know how I kept it on the road. Were sooo glad that you guys came out of it with just the "minor' scratches and breaks. Chill out for a while, and figure out the next step, take the stuff that you learned along the way and make it better, or put it towards a different project that you can use the all the parts on. good luck....

P.S. We still want to see pics of it! :happyfinger: :rasta:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Really sorry to hear that, buddy! I'm very impressed with your sober interpretation of it all!

"By looking at the wreck you would think that we were dead but somehow my 17 year old 6'3" 150pound body and my dads 6'6" body squeezed out. I have a torn muscle in my back and my dad broke his hand we are very very lucky and fortunate."

While you're reflecting you might consider that 'Somehow'. Sounds like Somebody up there likes you? Me, I'd be on my face saying "Thank you, thank you...." You'll get it rebuilt.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you & your father will be OK. Being an owner of lifted Jeep(s), I have my experiences with death wobble.

When I first started following your buildup and learned you were only 17, I was very impressed with your dedication. Not many teenagers today have the drive to earn and invest $35k into a vehicle rebuild while performing the work themselves.

You've handled this incident better than many adults I know. As a father of 3 young adults, I feel compelled to say that your father must be proud.

With that said, I suggest you evaluate the condition of the Bronco, the cost of the repair vs. your $35k investment and your desire to complete it before making a decision. Don't base the decision on your emotions alone.

One more suggestion, if you choose to repair it, install a rollbar for your protection.

Mike

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, but glad you are okay. I had a similiar experiece with my first truck; had a gasoline smell, could not find the leak, so drove it to school for the first time after two years of work. I also had a burned spark plug wire that started a fire running down the road. I was lucky and got it put out with dirt and a passerby with water, but I almost lost the whole truck. My brother and step brother both wrecked newly fixed muscle cars around the same age due to similiar issues. I have learned to be very careful and check things twice....oh, and I have a fire extinguisher in every vehicle I own.

Just let it be for a while and let your emotions settle, then you can get back onto figuring out exactly what happen and what can be done to repair it.

BTW, what is the "deth wobble" and what causes it? That is a new one on me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I too have experienced the death wobble. I didn't have the same out come though was able to regain control, From these hard times we all become who we are, lets thank god that you and your father can still be who you are. Gods speed and get well soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your kind words. The rode to recovery does not have a speed limit so my dad and I are going as fast as we can:). As for the bronco it is in salvagable condition I am very impressed I am going to clean her all up this weekend and put in a rolecage and one new fender there is very little body damage just the steel halfcab. When I finish it I will then decide weather to keep it or what. As for the death wobble I've been investigating and have no source on what it is from everything lines up and is good but will take a closer look this weekend.

·
Registered
91 Posts
wreck

Thank you all for your kind words. The rode to recovery does not have a speed limit so my dad and I are going as fast as we can:). As for the bronco it is in salvagable condition I am very impressed I am going to clean her all up this weekend and put in a rolecage and one new fender there is very little body damage just the steel halfcab. When I finish it I will then decide weather to keep it or what. As for the death wobble I've been investigating and have no source on what it is from everything lines up and is good but will take a closer look this weekend.
I would just take my time and rebuild what was damaged at least you are still alive

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident.

I’m glad that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank God ya'll are ok.and I agree with the others, you are handling this very well. Do us all a favor though; don't do it again, and don't get rid of your pride and joy before your 21st birthday. (are you really 17? wow)

I hope someone here knows how to fix the death wobble.....does it only happen on jacked up trucks?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Most common eb death wobble is caused by bad c radius arm bushing. Bad bushing causes the axle to move causing the wobble. Hope you figure it out.

Eugene

1 - 20 of 44 Posts