Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do yall think that it would be feasible to flat tow one of these step vans with a half ton four door truck?

If so what all preparations would be necessary?

Thanx.

·
Registered
808 Posts
No way can you flat tow a step van with a 1/2 ton truck, safely. You dont have the brakes to stop her in a emergency. And the weight of the step van will push you all over the road. Be safe, get a trailer.

Paul

·
Registered
143 Posts
Absolutely no way. I wouldn't even tow it on a trailer with a half-ton.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I've done worse, but I'd not recommend it to anyone..

Now, according to Ford, you can yank 11K with one of their F-150s. (And that's only with standard cab, short bed, 2wd, HD version or some such VERY limited group of options.. And I'd dare say trailer brakes required.) GVWR for the vans is around 9K, but actual weight is less. Aerodynamics would royally suck, too.

How about flat-towing one P30 with another one? I've got some evil ideas on that score.. Cross winds would be a REAL treat, I imagine.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
AGREED! NO WAY!! DEATH!???

I flat towed my 3/4 ton Power Wagon with my 1 ton Power Wagon and it was a horror story of out of control. Fortunately I could stay at 15-20 mph and even then BARELY made it home.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Definitely not. I sold the entire van to an individual that said he was going to flat tow. When he turned left out of my driveway the front tires turned all the way right and locked. We straightened the wheels and tied the steering wheel down. Luckily he had showed up with a log truck and homemade tow bar (he used it to tow his log loader). Regardless of what the van wanted to do it had to follow the truck. Anything less, definitely not.
Carl

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that is great I live in Northeast Texas and the nearest step van I can find is in Amarillo 500+ miles away @ 55 miles an hour would be 9+ hours if I did not stop. Oh well I'll keep looking. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
yes even with a 1ton and trailer 50-55 is max, and that is scary unless youre running dual wheels, and have a huge trailer. electric brakes are a must also because when a semi blows by you, it'll whip you really bad, and can cause jacknifing if you dont have trialer brakes to stop it.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Well that is great I live in Northeast Texas and the nearest step van I can find is in Amarillo 500+ miles away @ 55 miles an hour would be 9+ hours if I did not stop. Oh well I'll keep looking. Thanx.
I don't know that I'd want to go much over 65 towing one of these P30s with anything less than a medium duty truck. 65 would save you a little over an hour on the drive time, but it's still an all-day affair.

The thoughts I have are:

Assuming the P30 is a runner:

The P30 would likely have NO issues with towing another vehicle, even the half ton truck, if you put a hitch on the back.

Or, time to call in a favor from a friend, family member, or some such. Just have 'em chase you home while you drive the P30 back. That's how a lot of folks have retrieved their DoveBid gold, myself included. And some of those have been from MUCH further than 500 miles.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I just wanted to add a little to this thread. On a forum, which I call my home, a guy asked if he could tow a large tandem trailer with his Dodge Dakota. Everyone said NO ! He did it anyway, blew a trailer tire, was all over the road, rolled both the Dakota and trailer totalling both. He is now very out spoken on Towing/Tow Truck Safety. Its great to see/read the replies in this thread that show a great respect for safety for you and others on the road.

A few other forums I visit, long distance Flat Towing seems to be a way of life, do it at night, go slow, hope for the best. And the ones that win, with no accident, feel like they are heros for beating the odds.

Paul ( off to flat tow his Peterbuilt cross country with my Yugo....at night ha ha ha

·
Registered
225 Posts
As Machman stated, I drove mine home with a friend chasing in my truck. Another option occurred to us the other day. Load up all your tools and engine hoist, go to the van location and pull the engine and/or trans plus whatever else you needed. Contact area salvage/scrap yards before hand to have them lined up for the body. A little more time on your part but you dont have to tow if your not set up for it.
Carl

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Paul ( off to flat tow his Peterbuilt cross country with my Yugo....at night ha ha ha
Why, when I picture that, do I have in my mind the guy w/ the wheelchair that got shoved down the road at freeway speed by a truck.. :eek:

Agreed about the safety. I've done some REALLY stupid things before in the realm of moving a vehicle from one place to another, but those were cases of true emergency, not convenience.

And, no.. Just because something breaks down on the side of the road doesn't mean it's a true emergency. That's an inconvenience. Breaks down in the hammer lane on a freeway and won't move to the side under it's own power? Now you're getting warmer..

And while we're talking about safety.. Please, for all you may hold holy, do NOT think that the side of a freeway is a good place to do anything but the most basic, absolutely required things to a vehicle, and that's only just to get it off the road further / off the next exit and into a nice, big parking lot.

·
Registered
425 Posts
As Machman stated, I drove mine home with a friend chasing in my truck. Another option occurred to us the other day. Load up all your tools and engine hoist, go to the van location and pull the engine and/or trans plus whatever else you needed. Contact area salvage/scrap yards before hand to have them lined up for the body. A little more time on your part but you dont have to tow if your not set up for it.
Carl
If it's not a runner/driver or you have no where to store the van as you tear into it that's a good idea. I know I'm glad I got my van home because I'm still using parts off of it. It was helpful to study it once at home to see how things were setup to help give me ideas on swaping it into my project. However, this site is a fantastic resource and I've learned more here than I would have studying the van by myself. If you can get it home and have a place to store it you might end up using more parts off of it then first anticipated.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Of course... The other thought is: Does it have to be a 4BT? I know the 6 might be a bit much for a Jeep, but..

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1333794&convertTo=USD

One of the aircraft tugs w/ 6BT might make a good source for engine, and it'd be a lot less of a hassle to tow / trailer, though I'd recommend a trailer or tow backwards with a dolly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yall have definately made up my mind about towing these step vans in any fashion, with the equipment I have available. I guess I will either have to find one closer or take a three day weekend and drive one in from Amarillo.

I definately agree that the 6bt would be to much for the heep but dad and I are needing a reliable farm truck.....

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
yes even with a 1ton and trailer 50-55 is max, and that is scary unless youre running dual wheels, and have a huge trailer. electric brakes are a must also because when a semi blows by you, it'll whip you really bad, and can cause jacknifing if you dont have trialer brakes to stop it.
come on now that's crazy ???

I pulled my van with my 1 ton CC single rear wheel and trailer 36ft and it was fine. Yes trailer brakes are a must !!
It also depends on how it's loaded.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Yeah... First stop with one of those would be the closest scrap metal dealer for a sudden weight loss program. Then drag it home..

·
Registered
180 Posts
come on now that's crazy ???

I pulled my van with my 1 ton CC single rear wheel and trailer 36ft and it was fine. Yes trailer brakes are a must !!
It also depends on how it's loaded.

I agree with you, CrewCab. The last 18ft. van that I bought was from TN and a friend of mine volunteered to go get it if I paid for the fuel. We used his extended cab 99 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 pulling his 40ft. homebuilt gooseneck trailer (two axle, with elec. brakes) and ran 60-65 mph the whole way home except for some of the trip in Kentucky; his truck just ran out of ass (350 Vortec) going up some of those hills! It towed just fine, but we took extra time positioning the truck on the trailer and chaining it down before we headed out. On the downside, his truck only averaged around 7 mpg for the trip home and it cost me a pile for fuel. With that said, I would never use a 1/2 ton to pull something that bulky if it were not with a gooseneck. While these panel vans are not very heavy at all, they catch a lot of wind and 'feel' top-heavy when on the trailer. I think that if you were pulling from the bumper that the trailer probably could push you around some.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts