Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'd love some help. A few months ago I was run off the road and flipped my jeep on to driver side. Ever since I have not been able to get it to start. I'm definitely not a mechanic but enjoy working on what I can. I'm learning slowy I have a 1.9 VW TDI a 7.3 IDI and my Jeep is a 4BT. I have no experience on this at all. Any help would be great. Battery is out right now got it tested its fine. Up until flipping it it would fire up everytime 1st try and ran great.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Any chance that your Jeep has a rollover device in the fuel supply line? That would shut off the fuel supply to your engine.

Reactions: eggman918

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Having been upside down in a couple of vehicles in the past if it was inverted for any length of time oil from the crankcase can seep past the rings and hydraulic lock things, it would take very little with the compression ratio on the 4BT.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Give us a better description. Is the engine turning over? Is there any smoke out the tailpipe when it's turning? A video might help. It could be something as simple as the fuel cutoff solenoid is disconnected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns over Not sure about smoke I'll have to check that next weekend. I'm going out of town for the week. It fired one time ran for a couple seconds very rough then died again. I dont think any smoke was coming out of tail pipe.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Sounds like no fuel, used the available fuel in the system and quit. Start by verifying that fuel is being pumped into your fuel filter. Work from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only rolled on to its side not completely upside down. And it was running long once I was on my side. Not sure if that helps
Sounds like no fuel, used the available fuel in the system and quit. Start by verifying that fuel is being pumped into your fuel filter. Work from there.
I know this might sound stupid but up until about a year ago I've always been the guy who would take my vehicles to the shop. I'm trying to learn as much as possible with the help from who ever is willing to help. So I appreciate all advice thats being offered.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It only rolled on to its side not completely upside down. And it was running long once I was on my side...
Might be damage, on it's side, it is not pumping oil into the engine...

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the fuel system was stock, I would suspect the roll over protection switch (called ROPS or inertia switch by some manufacturers). If you are still depending on the original in-tank pump to supply the electric or mechanical lift pump (not common, but I've seen it happen) or using the original ECM to power the new electric lift pump, then I'd still worry about resetting that switch.

Then, I'd look for a crack or a too-sharp bend in between the tank and the lift pump, basically anything that is on the suction side of the lift pump. If the vacuum drops before the pump, it won't draw in any fuel into the pump. I'd also look for a crimp that restricts flow somewhere after the filter that is mounted near the engine. Follow the fuel supply lines and the return lines the entire way between the fuel tank and the engine, and check anything that looks suspicious. Check for any wet area on the lines after cycling the lift pump using the ignition switch.

Then, check the electrical connections on the pump and follow the wires up to the ECM, relay or controller to make sure none of the connections have been torn loose. Have someone cycle the ignition switch while you check the voltage output to the lift pump to make sure that power is being supplied to the pump.

Check the (electrical) oil pressure switch on the engine to make sure that the wire is connected to it and hasn't been torn loose. If this wire is torn loose, the lift pump will be able to prime the engine, but it will not allow it to run (depending on manufacturer, some do this and some don't). This is a low oil protection circuit that will shut off power to the fuel pump if the oil pressure is too low, thus saving the engine from running without oil and damaging the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It only rolled on to its side not completely upside down. And it was running long once I was on my side. Not sure if that helps

I know this might sound stupid but up until about a year ago I've always been the guy who would take my vehicles to the shop. I'm trying to learn as much as possible with the help from who ever is willing to help. So I appreciate all advice thats being offered.
all it takes is fuel , air and compression.. start with the fuel shut off.. is it electric or a manual cable? .. ... check for any air restriction....If it turns over FREELY.. ( not straining ) start by hooking up an electric pump to a separate fuel can.. and run fuel thru a inline directly to the injection pump.. and if the fuel shut off isn't restricting fuel.. it should start..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Just got back to town tonight. I'll check all suggestions in the morning and then update.

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
You have a good many possible causes of a no start. May be as simple as air in the system. This is a P pump engine so it has a piston lift pump which is very dependable. If you have the electric fuel shut off solenoid, be sure that is working. You can disconnect it and operate that pump manually if needed. Might pull the fuel filter and see if it is full. Go through the bleed process to be sure fuel is getting to the injectors. Hopefully you didn't damage the injection pump. Member Nascarmark may have some ideas. He's up in your country.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts