Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I've searched around and cant find the answer. If I dont get an answer today I'm torching it off.

I have 4bt that came out of Franklin feller buncher, I cant for the life of me get this dang flywheel off. It has bolt heads around the middle, and I loosened them but all they do is spin and wont come out. There was allen head bolts all around the outside edge of flywheel kinda like a cover I guess? I took them out and still nothing.

I've beat on it with a hammer, more than enough to jar something loose. My next option is Acetylene torch. Help please.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
What you're seeing there may not be the actual flywheel that is bolted to the crankshaft. No surface area there where a clutch disc would have been . Probably for some type of automatic transmission. It's either SAE3 or SAE2. Is there a serial number on the engine. If so, I could look on Quick Serve and see if there's a parts diagram. Have you removed the starter or one of the plugs in the the flywheel housing to look in from the other side. Don't want to go using a torch except as a lat resort.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
That is a drive adaptor on the flywheel. It is counterbored into the flywheel and maybe just rust/tight fit locking it into the flywheel. The centre bolts will just be holding the plate to the splines and not the crankshaft
May need to get a big slide hammer to go into the splines and pull it from there. Could try a pipe or decent bar in the splines and try rocking it to break it loose. While you have a bar in there with load on it, use a hammer to tap around the edge of the adaptor plate.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big thank you. I couldn't find a diagram anywhere to show me how this works. Heres a picture in case someone else struggles
20200407_141910.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That metal bar in picture I stuck in the flange, pulled on it (hard) and struck it with big hammer. After several good licks it come loose.

Then I was able to unbolt flywheel and adapter. In the process of building an engine stand and adapter and flywheel was last to be removed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts