Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 6BtA that is going into a Michigan wheel loader only problem is the flywheel is to thick
Anyone have specs on the different flywheels for the 6bta
If I can’t find a different flywheel can I have it machined down without hurting the balance of engine

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
You might need a couple pages of paper to list all the possible flywheels. I'm assuming the equipment had an SAE type housing. Was it a manual or automatic transmission? Which size SAE housing? Likely #3 or #2 but I never know. There would be other measurements you may need to know. Pilot bearing hole diameter might be one. Was the 6bta out of a road vehicle or industrial equipment? Cummins may have made some flywheels specifically for the application. Do you know if that equipment ever came with a Cummins?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might need a couple pages of paper to list all the possible flywheels. I'm assuming the equipment had an SAE type housing. Was it a manual or automatic transmission? Which size SAE housing? Likely #3 or #2 but I never know. There would be other measurements you may need to know. Pilot bearing hole diameter might be one. Was the 6bta out of a road vehicle or industrial equipment? Cummins may have made some flywheels specifically for the application. Do you know if that equipment ever came with a Cummins?
Yes it has the sae #3 housing same as the original engine has which is the v378 v6 Cummins motor the 6BtA I want to swap in is a industrial motor with 200 hp with approximately 800 hours on it the only problem is the flywheel is 1.5 inch thicker
Talked to a machine shop today and they said they could machine it down

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Is it possible that the V378 flywheel will bolt to the 6bt? Flywheels are balanced separate from the rotating assembly so you have all kinds of options on applications. You say the flywheel is 1.5" thicker? I didn't know Cummins had a flywheel that thick. That thing must weigh 200 lbs. A standard flywheel is around 60 lbs. One possible may be part 3976387. I emphasis may be. Cummins has dozens of SAE flywheels. That one is 15-3/8" OD and weighs around 60 lbs. You also run into the issue of how many teeth there are on the ring gear. Do you know the part # of the flywheel that is on the engine now? Sort of curious what the heck that one is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts