Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you get a 4BT from a p-30 with an automatic - does it have a flexplate or flywheel? I have seen the pictures of the wavy steel adapter that one side bolts to a torque converter If you remove this from the flywheel/flexplate, can you bolt a clutch and pressure plate on? I guess my question is - If it came with an automatic, do you need to find a new flywheel to use a manual transmission? Thank You

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Auto trans have flexplates,Manuals have flywheels.

To answer your question,If you have a auto and what a manual , the flexplate has to be changed for a flywheel.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that from working on gassers, just wondered if this engine was set-up differently.
I have a 1990 IFS GMC K1500 4x4 with a 350 700R4 NP241 left hand. I want a 4BT with a NV4500. Im not sure which way to go. If I use the chevy NV4500 I understand it has a 32 spline output. My transfer case is 27 spline. I am also not sure how the bellhousing side would work. If I get a dodge NV4500 with a dodge NP241 it may be easier?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
There sould be a 32 spline input shaft for that trans,if so than just swap them out and will bolt up the the Nv4500
The Gm Nv4500 have 32 spline.
The Dodge Nv4500 have 29 spline.

Scott

·
'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser
1,660 Posts
there is a standard duty 23 spline Dodge NV4500, came behind the V8s. That is what I used with my last 4BT, did great, no issues even with fairly heavy wheeling and 35s.. The Dodge NP241 does bolt up right behind it, from a '89-90 era Dodge is pass drop, has factory "slip yoke eliminator" I can post some pics if I can find them.. Worked great. The 241 is long though, but the 23 spline 4500 is the shortest of them all.. the 29 and 32 spline 4500s have a built in vibration dampener and are stronger though, of course, just by design...

There are also no options with mixing and matching NP241 parts, so you can't put the Dodge slip yoke eliminator on the Chevy NP41 without major machining etc.. But honestly, if you have the wheel base, slip yoke in the trans is fine...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts