Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. i have sat the 4bt into my f100. it wants to sit over to the right a lot. it has a ford adaptor on it. i have heard reference to some chev adaptors laying the motor over on an angle. do the ford ones do this too ? or should i just have a muck around with the position of the trans rear mount ? any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
645 Posts
hi guys. i have sat the 4bt into my f100. it wants to sit over to the right a lot. it has a ford adaptor on it. i have heard reference to some chev adaptors laying the motor over on an angle. do the ford ones do this too ? or should i just have a muck around with the position of the trans rear mount ? any help would be much appreciated.
The Ford housings do not angle the engine like the Chevy. What trans are you using?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
What kind of truck are you working on? There's a very extensive writeup on FORDification.com about installing a 4BT into into the 65 to 79 Ford chassis.

Ford drivetrain is offset about 3" to the passenger side to center the rear diff and allow plenty of room for steering and clutch linkage. I'm not sure if you mean the engine's tilted or if the whole thing is off to one side.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
or should i just have a muck around with the position of the trans rear mount ? any help would be much appreciated.
If you do, your driveline will not be parallel with the framerails, hard on U-joints. Unless you recenter rear diff $$$ Had same problem with EFB wanted to move engine 2" pass side to clear NP205 but bellhousing was 3/4" from framerail already.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the whole thing seems to want to sit to the right. not leaned over, just off to the right. thanks guys.

·
Registered
225 Posts
All good advice Briney, whatever you do make sure your rear output and crank centerline are parallel to the frame. I put mine back in the factory location and with the fluidlastic mounts from the van, it is a very tight fit.
Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts