Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have not decided what im gonna do with my 1985 Ford F250 Diesel 4 speed 4x4, but im going to explore my options even more.
I was thinking would it be easier to put in a a 4 cylinder Cummins in, would it to enough horsepower and is there any perfromnce stuff for them, and would a 12V 6 cylinder Cummins Transmission adapter work, and all the mounts?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I still have not decided what im gonna do with my 1985 Ford F250 Diesel 4 speed 4x4, but im going to explore my options even more.
I was thinking would it be easier to put in a a 4 cylinder Cummins in, would it to enough horsepower and is there any perfromnce stuff for them, and would a 12V 6 cylinder Cummins Transmission adapter work, and all the mounts?
Re. performance stuff, read the performance threads. The Dodge 12v flywheel housing ( trans adapter) will bolt up but then you need to use NV4500 with adapter to your T case. Better to use an adapter that will allow you to bolt your tranny to the 4bt with dodge flywheel then you use your t case directly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would i be able to use my transmission i have now, i would like to keep a ford transmission i also have a heavy duty 4 speed

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The Ford chassis 4BT literally bolts into an '80 or newer ford truck. You just need 300 six frame stands and a small block bellhousing.

4 speeds suck with a diesel. It will work, but better to go with a late model 5 speed.

The 4BT has enough power to move a heavy truck. You can hop up a 4BT for cheaper than you can a 6BT.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do you have any pictures of this setup? I'm assuming that you would use the liquid mounts/engine brackets from a breadvan? It would have been nice to know that before I did my swap! My '85's frame mounts were for the smallblocks. They had to be removed so the engine could sit in the correct position.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
There are some pics in the 6b section of a ford F350.

The only difference in cost is going to be 2 extra .injectors rest of the parts are the same. Gov spring,air filters,exhaust and injectors.

Scott

·
Registered
278 Posts
I couldn't find any pictures of an F350 using 300 six cylinder frame stands/mounts in the 6b section. Will you please give me more info?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Where can you get the Ford chassis 4bt mounts at? Napa, AutoZone?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The Ford 4BT's were in breadtrucks that originally had 300 sixes. The trucks did not come from the factory with a diesel. They were part of the cummins repower program. Grumman-olson Ford chassis vans are a ford chassis. The same as a pickup. Ford used the same frame design in thier F-100 2wd through F-350 4x4 from 1980 through 1997. From 80 to 97 there are 300 six frame stands small block/351m/400m frame stands, 460 frame stands and not sure if diesel are different or not. Think they're same as 460.

From 65 to 79 the front frame was the same 2wd and used 3 different frame stands: 240/300 six and 360/390 all shared the same, 302 and 460 had thier own respective mounts. From 65 to 76 Ford 4x4's only had two engine options the 360 or the 300. The 360 and 300 had different frame stands, but they do interchange after drilling a couple new holes. 77-79 4x4's are different. The real odd duck is the early '77 highboy with a 351M/400. That frame is a bastard that nothing fits.

There's a lot of bad info out there on ford interchangeability.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The Ford 4BT's were in breadtrucks that originally had 300 sixes. The trucks did not come from the factory with a diesel. They were part of the cummins repower program. Grumman-olson Ford chassis vans are a ford chassis. The same as a pickup. Ford used the same frame design in thier F-100 2wd through F-350 4x4 from 1980 through 1997. From 80 to 97 there are 300 six frame stands small block/351m/400m frame stands, 460 frame stands and not sure if diesel are different or not. Think they're same as 460.

From 65 to 79 the front frame was the same 2wd and used 3 different frame stands: 240/300 six and 360/390 all shared the same, 302 and 460 had thier own respective mounts. From 65 to 76 Ford 4x4's only had two engine options the 360 or the 300. The 360 and 300 had different frame stands, but they do interchange after drilling a couple new holes. 77-79 4x4's are different. The real odd duck is the early '77 highboy with a 351M/400. That frame is a bastard that nothing fits.

There's a lot of bad info out there on ford interchangeability.

Bobs - Put this post in a sticky somewhere. I'm no Ford guy, but appears to be very informative to us non-ford dudes :idea:

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
The block adapter is only on Ford installed 4BT's.
This will be my last attempt to clarify that "Borg Warner T-19's" with Ford bellhousings were installed in both Ford and GM chassis. Since everyone continues to refer to it as the "Ford" the confusion will perpetuate on. Yes, I have personally removed two "Fords" from two 1989 P30 Chevy chassis.

A link to this thread is in the "Engine topic Index" under "mounts."

·
Registered
168 Posts
Let me make sure I got all this straight. You guys are saying that you need to take the stands for a 300 6-cylinder and the motor mounts for a 1st gen Cummins, bolt them together, and there's your motor mounts for a 4bt in a Ford. I hate to sound dense, but I just wanna make sure I got it right.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
Dustin,

To alleviate any future confusion with your term "stands", would this also be referred to as: "Bracket, frame, engine mounting" or am I already on the wrong page?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I couldn't find any pictures of an F350 using 300 six cylinder frame stands/mounts in the 6b section. Will you please give me more info?
I never said anything about the 300 6cly mounts ! what I was saying is that there different mounts to use that will bolt up using ford isolators

CrewCab59

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry CrewCab59, I misunderstood your post. What I believe is being said...is to use:
1. The engine mounting brackets that are riveted/bolted to the frame from an F-series truck that originally came with a Ford 300 six cylinder.
2. The rubber motor mounts from a First-Generation Dodge with 6BT.
3. The engine-mounted motor mount brackets (block adapter) from the Ford breadvans that were converted from Ford 300 six cylinders to 4BTs. These are the 3/8 inch steel brackets that came with my 4BT. They use the 3 side holes near the front of the 4BT and have a 45 degree plate coming up from them with 2 holes in them.

Is that correct? If it is, do you have pictures of this setup?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I apologize about stating the ford adapters only being in ford chassis trucks. I didn't know they used the ford plate with a chevy chassis.

The "frame stands" I'm refering to are exactly that. They are the stands that bolt to the frame, they bridge the gap between rubber mount and frame rail. The early cummins rubber mounts fit right in the 300 six pickup stands with the proper 45 degree adapter plates bolted to the block.

The 300 six stands changed a bit in the progression from 1980 to 1997. They aren't all a bolt in interchange. For instance, if you are trying to bolt a 1980 driver's side 300 six stand into a 1997 frame you will need to drill a couple of the holes and torch a slice out of the crossmember for easy access to the stud from underneath.

·
Registered
168 Posts
averagef250, since the 300 6 cylinder mounts changed over the years, are all of them usable with a 4bt, or only some of them?

Are you guys sure that the 300 6 stands are strong enough to hold a 4bt? I dunno what the 300 weights in at, but I'd imagine it's alot less then the Cummins.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bump.

I'm trying to get the most reliable info I can. What I have gathered from this thread so far is I can use my 87 Ford 300 engine stands with gen 1 Dodge cummins rubber isolators and bolt them to my 4bt as long as I have the right block adapters.

I am buying an 88 Ford crew cab and I'm trying to gather all the parts I need to make it happen. I have everything including the gen one mounts except the block adapters for 4bt to 300 ford engine stands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts