Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows:

I am looking at getting a 1990 Ford F-250 to do my swap. The axle ratios are 3.55 and it has the one-ton rear end (axle code 39). It also currently has the 460/zf-5 combo. I want to swap in my 4bt with the M5R2.

I have a close friend who wants the 460 and the ZF-5. The rub is, there is not transfer case in the truck currently. He wants to drive it to make sure all is up to snuff, so if I pick up the truck, I'll have to put a transfer case in it so he can drive it. I know I have heard that all ford trucks from early 80's to mid-late 90's use the BW 1356 t-case. Is this true? Did the BW 1356 come with different specs such as bolt pattern or to accomodate different tranny output shafts? Or, as I am hoping, is it one t-case fits both ZF-5 and M5R2?
That way, I can buy one, let my buddy drive it, let him pull the motor and tranny and then I am ready to swap?

Any info, as always, greatly appreciated.

Tyler

·
Registered
256 Posts
Around 1988/1989 till 1996 would be the year range for a 13-56.
It can come from an F150 F250 or F350, Auto; Manual; Engine option; doesn't matter.
These all have 31 spline input.
F350 versions have a PTO cover, most if not all F350 versions have a double cardan CV compatible front output yoke, some F150 and F 250 can have this because of a campaign by ford for dissatisfied customers, whereby they upgraded to the smoother running CV driveshaft.
All the F-series trucks have a reverse slip driveshaft... to be more specific, you have a slip yoke that slides on the T-case output shaft.
Or in laymans terms, don't get one for a Bronco.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts