Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came across a 4bt through word of mouth and the guy wants 1200 for it. Its a 1978 Grumman Aluminum step van. Guy says it was rebuilt from the ground up in the 90's by Frito Lay Rebuild Center in Ohio. Its about an hour away from me and Im going to go look at it. What do I look for? Where are CPL numbers? What do they mean? It has a TH400 tranny BTW.

·
Registered
335 Posts
sounds like a steal if it runs.... Aluminum body, 4bt, turbo 400...worth every penny even just as scrap, and cores... plus just an hour away.... bounce bounce

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just spoke with the guy and told him it would be saturday before I could make it up to look at it and he said he had a guy on the way to look at it right now. Think he bluffing and trying to push it on me?:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's hard to say... I've had those deals go 50/50 every time. When I think the seller is bluffing WHAMMO: SOLD!!!! When I rush to buy, it turns out that no one wanted it.

Bottom line: It is a great deal! If it were me, I would MAKE the time to buy it. -ahem- 'Boss...I feel... a... little...:puke: '-ahem-

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's hard to say... I've had those deals go 50/50 every time. When I think the seller is bluffing WHAMMO: SOLD!!!! When I rush to buy, it turns out that no one wanted it.

Bottom line: It is a great deal! If it were me, I would MAKE the time to buy it. -ahem- 'Boss...I feel... a... little...:puke: '-ahem-
Its Christmas, I cant get the money until the 1st. If it runs but is in need of a rebuild, how hard is it to rebuild one? how much does it cost?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Its Christmas, I cant get the money until the 1st. If it runs but is in need of a rebuild, how hard is it to rebuild one? how much does it cost?
1.$1200.00 for the complete truck is a steal but there is a reason why it's so cheap .
a.Runs but will need a rebuild.
b.Has no clue what he has.
2.Some guys push there stuff to sell it and don't care they want the cash.
3.The cheap up front is higher in the end,because off all the work plus parts ,labor , tools and parts add up quick.
4.The rebuild hard to tell unless you do a compression test,coolant pressure test ( head gasket ) .

Up for the challange than do it,if not than buy somthing that is complete and need no work.

Hope this info helps.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
He is giving you a good deal no matter what condition it is in. He may just be one of the few good guys out there that just wants to get what he had in it back. Some folks are'nt in this hobby to make a lot of money. I would give him earnest money and come back on the 1st, make him sign something on paper. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm "that guy" who was on his way to look at it and I bought it. You missed out on a great truck! It doesn't smoke, starts right up in freezing cold, and runs/drives like a champ on six brand new tires.

You gotta keep a reserve of cash on hand to keep assholes like me from getting the good deals. =)

Good luck finding a truck. This guy told me he bought the truck for $60 from Frito lay where he worked, so $1200 was a steal for me and a gold mine for him. He had several, but this was the only diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
If I could offer some advice. Even if you don't have the cash but will, nail it down with a deposit.. Even in the last couple of months I snoozed, even had a gentleman's agreement that I would buy it and the sell was actualy psyched to hold onto the vehicle for a few days for me.. They even mostly refused to take some cash but I should have insisted.. Then one day I saw it on craigslist, called, and they had already sold it to someone else.. So much for a gentleman's agreement!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm "that guy" who was on his way to look at it and I bought it. You missed out on a great truck! It doesn't smoke, starts right up in freezing cold, and runs/drives like a champ on six brand new tires.

You gotta keep a reserve of cash on hand to keep assholes like me from getting the good deals. =)

Good luck finding a truck. This guy told me he bought the truck for $60 from Frito lay where he worked, so $1200 was a steal for me and a gold mine for him. He had several, but this was the only diesel.
Oh well man. Congrats on one hell of a deal!! Maby i will be lucky enough to find another. BTW your not an asshole. just had the cash and time and I didn't.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I decide to sell it, I'll keep you in mind.

She's ugly.. I gotta clean off the paint they put over the doritos and frito lay logos.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I decide to sell it, I'll keep you in mind.

She's ugly.. I gotta clean off the paint they put over the doritos and frito lay logos.

Please do man. if you decide you wanna help me out and make few bucks let me know please.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I can't believe I missed this one. I'm only about 45 minutes away from where it was.

Good find, Congratulations.

On the plus side i did just pick up a running motor with GM adapter, flywheel and clutch for about half that price in southern maryland just across the river from where that truck was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
4.The rebuild hard to tell unless you do a compression test,coolant pressure test ( head gasket ) .
Does the trick of pulling the radiator cap while its running to look for bubbles and 'sniffing' the exhaust for any coolant smell work with the Cummins turbodiesels? Reportedly thats one way to check for head gasket failures in the old GM diesels.

What other things should be looked for in a 4BT ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had my eye on that from way up here in Vermont!

My first posting here. Hello all!

What a deal that was. The pictures on Craigslist were dark and hard to make out. Your pictures are much clearer, almost looks to nice to pull the drivetrain out of it. The info provided on craigs sounded good. I had one email to him asking for better pictures as I'm far away which makes things a little more difficult. The last email I got was that someone picked it up Christmas eve at like 11:30.
Enjoy!
Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't believe I missed this one. I'm only about 45 minutes away from where it was.

Good find, Congratulations.

On the plus side i did just pick up a running motor with GM adapter, flywheel and clutch for about half that price in southern maryland just across the river from where that truck was.
Nothing wrong with that price either!

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Does the trick of pulling the radiator cap while its running to look for bubbles and 'sniffing' the exhaust for any coolant smell work with the Cummins turbodiesels? Reportedly thats one way to check for head gasket failures in the old GM diesels.

What other things should be looked for in a 4BT ?
If you're checking one in a step van, and it's set up like mine is, then you're going to have a problem with pulling the cap and looking for bubbles, as both the heater core(s) and recovery jug are above the radiator cap.

Might be able to use a pressure relief (lever) type radiator cap and a hose into a clear container at the appropriate height to look for bubbles.

Or, get a cooling system pressure tester / adapter kit (might be able to get a loaner from a local auto parts house..) and check it with that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts