Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 F350 with moderate frame rust. The plan is to grind, wire wheel, and blast a bit with a homeowner sand blaster. But, it won't be the bare-metal you get with a commercial blast job, It will be frame-off.

I would love to hear the long-term results from other folks who have done something similar.

What did you use, how long ago, how's it holding up?

A lot of what I find on the internet are reports after a month and a half. I want a mostly rust-free frame for a really long while. Like, two decades.

Thanks,

Roy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know about two decades but I've had good luck with Gloss Black Rustoleum. I just roll it on and walk away. Sets up fast though so your best bet is to roll on a coat and come back a few hours later.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Had the frame on my Power Wagon blasted, they primed it with a urethane primer, which I scuffed and top coated with Eastwood's epoxy primer and then their 2K ceramic chassis black (satin). While it doesn't have any miles on it yet it has been sitting outside uncovered in the yard while I worked on the body for well over a year and still looks good. Now that everything is starting to go back together it's also seemed to hold up well to being banged, scratched, and leaked on. So far I'm happy with it. I live in southern VA so we don't get much in the way of snow and almost no salt, but it also hasn't been covered from the sun either and hasn't suffered much from it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 1961 town wagon power wagon had 13 plus years with Zero Rust black when I got rid of it. No issues at all. I wire brushed the frame and painted it with a brush.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow...Town Wagon. I had not heard of them...just now looked them up. I am a long-term owner of 1960's Travelalls. (I have also owned an FJ55)

13 years...now, that is what I'm talking about. What was the frame like before the Zero Rust? Any pitting?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had good luck with POR-15, not the cheapest stuff but had a trailer frame sand blasted and then rolled and brushed it on about a year ago and have had zero issues. I have also used it over semi blasted metal with a little surface rust still on it and had good results. I use their degreaser and their metal prep and then the POR-15. Also the paint itself is not UV resistant and will fade if it's in the sun and not topcoated. I also did the axles and motor on my rig with POR-15 and top coated with chassis coat or engine enamel and although they haven't seen any miles yet it has held up against me spilling diesel fuel on it and whatnot. I'm also doing the rest of the frame on my xterra with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts