Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

From eTDI to mTDI in my CJ7

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Cuban11182 
#1 ·
Decided to swap my electronics for a mechanical pump. The pump is 12MM that revs to 4500 rpms out of the box. It was made for a military vehicle that is no longer in production. I installed a Denny T Stage 2 fuel pin, and it's amazing the difference between the symetrical pin that came with it.

#4 ·
I did not tune the eTDI.

I wanted to see if I liked it better for my personal setup, and I do.

It's an ALH with upgraded rods, and fully rebuilt by me.

This is a brand new Navistar Internation pump that I basically threw on. I've made some adjustments to fueling, and it's a hoot to drive, but I'm still going easy on it.

The 300TDI pump is a 11MM, but it fuels like a 10MM eTDI pump. AFAIK, they didn't come in 12MM. There is the KIA LT2.8 pump that is also available, mostly in 11MM (but I was told they also made 12MM today). I threw a 300TDI pump on my spare motor, and it ran like poop. Come to find out, whoever was using it last used veg-oil, so the inside was garbage. I've been told from a few sources that the 300TDI pump are only good to about 200HP max, and you want to have it worked on by a pro to increase RPM, put in a more aggressive cam plate, (maybe a different dynamic timing cover) and get it running right.

Just realize that these mTDI pumps don't have a "rod-saver tune" that limits low RPM torque. You can/will bend rods unless you upgrade them, and/or run very carefully down low.

#7 ·
Just as an update. The CJ is still doing fine. It's louder with the mTDI and now that the soft top is on with doors, it's loud inside at speed. I should've done some sort of sound deadening before the Monstaliner, but right now it's ok. Under 55MPH and it's not bad.

My brother picked up a BHW engine, and I built that thing for him. He plans to do an XJ swap.

Also, I did pick up a stock 1994 Jeep XJ that I'm going to be swapping as well. The hybrid motor that I built will be going into with an AW4 trans. More than likely it'll be a GTC1549 w/ some 280 injectors. That should put it to 230HP so 300-325 lb ft. That should be enough. Next steps are to convert to disc in the rear, and then a 3" 3 link lift kit will get installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.