Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to (finally) replace the front seal. In the seal kit is the seal, a plastic seal pilot, an alignment tool, and a thin black seal ring of some sort. The only reference I have available (sadly) is a Dodge service manual which is, at best, vague and makes no mention of this thin ring. Where does it go and which way does it face? The manual also instructs the installer to apply Loctite 277 to the OD of the seal. My parts guy struck out on this. Is there an acceptable substitute? I'm sure this will all make more sense once I get it apart, but I want to be sure of what I'm going to find in there and double sure I have everything necessary on hand. Any advice/input/tips are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The plastic sleeve in there to hold back the double lip of the seal over the crank . * don't touch the sleeve* ,Install the seal dry,no oil on the seal or crank !!!.The metal install ring works ok , the is a Cummins tool that works great.

I never have had any black rings in the seals I have opened?

just make sure you have the cover clean and level and the seal will be tight going in and will take some time and not bend the cover.

Do a search we just about this not to long ago.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
126 Posts
I thought the same thing when I saw the black ring.

Check this URL, there is a photo of the Dust Ring in place
right at the end of the article:

http://www.tstproducts.com/DowelPina.pdf

This was very helpful,
George

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Make alignment dowels

Go to your local bolt supplier and buy four M8 x 1.25 x 60mm or longer. Cut the heads off. Thread them loosely onto the three holes in the housing closest to the crankshaft and put the fourth in the upper top right hand location. Then hang the cover on these dowels and apply pressure toward the engine in the area of the crankshaft. The cover should pop right into place. Then remove the plastic sleeve.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, gentlemen. The info on the TST site was exactly what I was looking for. A picture is truly worth a thousand words. Mark Chappel is THE MAN!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts