Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a matter of preventive maintence, I killed the KDP and replaced the front seal (GEN-U-WINE Cummins seal, too, I'll have you know). (Crowd "OOOHS" and "AHHHHS".)

You guessed it--I fired the beast up, rode around the block a couple of times once I'd finished up whoopin' and hollerin' 'n' dancing around the yard, then onto debugging any problems that showed up.

One of those bugs is an oil leak at the front seal :nuke: so I gets to replace that jewel again--repetitive work, but at least it's time-consuming and expensive. :eek:

Anybody want to walk me through the process since I obviously can no longer install seals properly? (Hey, I even read the directions...)

Eddie

·
Registered
808 Posts
Did you have the seal surface on the crankshaft clean and dry...no lube ?
Did you leave the plastic protector in the seal to protect the lip as it was pushed on the crankshaft? And then remove it once installed ?

Did you Not touch the seal surface ?
The above are all in the Cummins Shop Manual

I used a genuine cummins insertion tool, not the cheesie stamped tool that comes with the seal.

Paul

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
make sure not to bend the cover as well ,make sure it level and use a some kind of block to stop the flex of the cover and take you time,there are tight for a reason.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
I always get 5 metric bolts - M8 x 1.25 -60mm and cut the heads off and use them as alignment pins by screwing them into the 4 closest holes around the crankshaft and 1 on the far top right corner. This keeps the cover from flopping around while you are pressing it on. I also clean the sealing surface of the crankshaft using starting ether and let it air dry. Remember to use Locktite large diameter thread sealant on the outside of the seal before pressing the seal into the cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts