Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 68 Bronco Sport and am pretty new to the engine work, but up for it. I am looking to put a diesel in my Bronco, but am looking for the most fuel efficient engine I can find. I don't need incredible power based on the weight of the vehicle, but want the reliability and efficiency of the diesel engine. With the torque of a diesel, the overall horsepower isn't a big deal as long as it is over 200HP, which I would expect it would be. I'm looking to get 30 mpg, anything better would be a huge perk.

Any expertise or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
494 Posts
setting the bar Kinda high. I would think you could get 30 mpgs, but with over 200hp at the same time, not so sure. Full size Dodge Cummins just broke the 200hp mark 10 years ago, and MB diesels were just over 30mpgs and no where near the power of the cummins. You might look at the VW diesels but they are more complex than the cummins and MB as far as i know. Probably possible but i bet computers and money are involved.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the difference effect horsepower and torque have on the driving experience. Even though the 105 hp 4BT I swapped into my F150 is probably about 100 horses less than the 302 that i took out, it drives like the it has more power now. The difference in the greater torque that the 4BT makes and the much low RPM that at which it does so. Plus, I'll get 25 MPG all day long in a 6000 .lb 4WD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I'm looking at the 4BT as an option and have another thread going, but am concerned about the noise and vibration. RedZerOne, what's your experience with your 4BT? Another factor was keeping my Bronco all Ford. I know that the 4BT was used in some Fords, I think in Brazil. I can take that as a loose factory option. If there was an alternative with a Ford engine that can achieve the 4BT's mpg, then I would go that route. Eventually I may reach the point where I give up on the all Ford option and just build a really cool Bronco with non-Ford additions, but I'm not quite there yet.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Consider the Isuzu 4BD1T? It's not Ford by any means but I wouldn't let that deter you. With Randy's Ford kit about to come out you can keep a Ford tranny. I've heard it vibrates less and is more quiet than a 6BT even, but haven't ran mine yet so no personal opinion.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The level of noise and vibration is higher than with the gas 302. But once the motor mounts break in some and I replaced the gas exhaust system with a diesel system, alot of it went away. Alot of it will be up to how "tight" the truck was to begin with. I've had to go thru and tighten or replace several small pieces (heater vents, backing panel for the heater controls, etc.) to get rid of some noises. I've taken mine on several long haul trips (southern WV to AL and IL) and my biggest problem was it being a single cab, not the extra noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the input. I'm definitely going with the 4BT, I just have to find one now. I've looked online alot and would prefer to find one that is still in a bread truck, so I can pull out all the gear myself, rather than pay the premium for one that is pulled and may not have everything needed attached. For those of you that have a 4BT already, any suggestions with my search? I know that they came in bread trucks, Frito Lay trucks, some step vans, and dodges, but when I do a search I can't identify what specific models have the 4BT. For example, if I do an internet search of junk yards, the vehicle is listed generally as only a van versus step van and there is no search option for bread truck. The 12V would be too much for what I'm looking for, so any input on specific model numbers and model years the 4BT was offered.

Thanks from the newbie

-Brian

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
... so any input on specific model numbers and model years the 4BT was offered.
Most of the 4BT powered step vans originally were powered with gasoline engines. When the price of gasoline went up, as the gas engines wore out, they were repowered by the 4BT. There were a few step vans delivered with 4BTs, but, I do not have any info to give you keywords for a search.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I know that the 4BT was used in some Fords, I think in Brazil. I can take that as a loose factory option.
there is even a 203hp common-rail version of it, currently used in the f250... f350 and f550 are fitted with a p-pumped 120hp version because they're more targeted to a rural market and then ford preferred to avoid electronics...

but if you want something that could appear more as a factory option, you could try a caterpillar c2.2 simillar to the mazda engine used in early rangers or that mitsubishi 4d56...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
there is even a 203hp common-rail version of it, currently used in the f250... f350 and f550 are fitted with a p-pumped 120hp version because they're more targeted to a rural market and then ford preferred to avoid electronics...

but if you want something that could appear more as a factory option, you could try a caterpillar c2.2 simillar to the mazda engine used in early rangers or that mitsubishi 4d56...
<RANT ON>
Focus - Let us focus on the task at hand. The engines installed in South America, or in Iceland for that matter, are not available in San Diego.
<RANT OFF>

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The engines installed in South America, or in Iceland for that matter, are not available in San Diego.
avaliability in san diego, san jose, or wherever, wouldn't be a problem for a p-pumped 4bt...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
avaliability in san diego, san jose, or wherever, wouldn't be a problem for a p-pumped 4bt...
My Wonder Bread truck was purchased from a friend of a friend. It had sat for a few years in a back yard. Please share your source. There are several folks looking for a 4BT in the Southwest.

·
Vendor
2,599 Posts
If you put a stock 4bt in your Bronco you will be MORE than happy and have more power than a stock 302/351 ever had. Before I started altering I drove from Denver to Las Vegas and averaged 28 mpg and was running it hard(around 3k rpm). 366 spring, tall gearing help. After modifying, I wonder if I should have just left it stock with gov spring install. Currently have IC/he341/3.50 gearing and running 37s. If running tires under 32s I would consider taller than 3.50 gearing for hiway speeds.
Buying a new 10k motor as cr suggests seems entirely rediculous as a lo mileage unit will last till the body falls off, if treated properly. You could purchase 3 bts run them to death, buy 3 rebuild kits cheaper than purchasing new. But to each his own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone thought of the 4.5L V6 turbo diesel used in the small ford and international cab overs. It make over 200hp and 400ftlb. They mated it to the same 5 speed auto as the 3/4 ton trucks. It uses same injection as the 6.0L and from what ive read has a sequential turbo like the 6.4L. Im thinking about that engine for a half ton or tahoe sized suv. If my uncle can break 23mpg with his 6.0L in a crew cab long box 4x4 one ton I bet that V6 can break 30mpg.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Has anyone thought of the 4.5L V6 turbo diesel used in the small ford and international cab overs. It make over 200hp and 400ftlb. They mated it to the same 5 speed auto as the 3/4 ton trucks. It uses same injection as the 6.0L and from what ive read has a sequential turbo like the 6.4L. Im thinking about that engine for a half ton or tahoe sized suv. If my uncle can break 23mpg with his 6.0L in a crew cab long box 4x4 one ton I bet that V6 can break 30mpg.
the so-called "baby stroke"... not too usual for swaps... was it ever available bolted to a manual transmission or only with the automatic?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk
Which fords or internationals did they put it in It may be perfect for my E-350 which will run about 8000 Lbs plus 2500 total tow weight. looking for fuel milage not so much brute power and am considering a 6 BT but this sounds interesting

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try the QSB 4 with rear gear train much quieter and less vibration

I just bought a 68 Bronco Sport and am pretty new to the engine work, but up for it. I am looking to put a diesel in my Bronco, but am looking for the most fuel efficient engine I can find. I don't need incredible power based on the weight of the vehicle, but want the reliability and efficiency of the diesel engine. With the torque of a diesel, the overall horsepower isn't a big deal as long as it is over 200HP, which I would expect it would be. I'm looking to get 30 mpg, anything better would be a huge perk.

Any expertise or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Try the QSB 4 with rear gear train much quieter and less vibration

1 - 20 of 20 Posts