Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I saw this mentioned on another swap site and thought I'd throw it out here. It was suggested that a one-way check valve should be installed in the fuel line between the lift pump and the injector pump to prevent fuel from draining out of the fuel line and letting air in. Has anyone had problems with this or have any thoughts?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey All,

I saw this mentioned on another swap site and thought I'd throw it out here. It was suggested that a one-way check valve should be installed in the fuel line between the lift pump and the injector pump to prevent fuel from draining out of the fuel line and letting air in. Has anyone had problems with this or have any thoughts?
If your lift pump is in good shape and all fuel line connections are tight/not leaking, this shouldn't be an issue anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
OOH, I was the one who said that! bounce
Its what many people have done (from what I have read), and I think its a good idea, but I would like to hear from someone who has done it aswell.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, I think it sounds like pretty cheap and easy insurance against air contamination. Only thing I'd wonder about is the check valve restricting the fuel flow and causing defueling issues. But I haven't gotten into my swap yet, so I've got nothing to base my opinion on 'cept Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I've got to agree with Flyin71H, that if the fuel line, clamps and fittings are correct and in good order it isn't needed at all. As far as cheap and easy and simple, it's more of all of those to just make sure everything is right and then not worry about yet another piece of machine that might somehow fail?

I do prefer the last few inches of line going into left pump being plumbed with clear tubing, to keep an eye on possible air bubbles in the fuel line.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We use the Detroit Diesel aluminum, rebuildable check valve as a fail-safe in some of our ground equipment at work. It is free-flowing and is a lot cheaper than replacing a lift pump or electric fuel pump that only has a bad check ball. When the Detroit Diesel check valve fails, you can disassemble it and pull out the piece of wood, rubber, etc. that caused the failure...NO COST, except time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
P/N

Do you have a part # for this check valve? I believe that both my 4bt's have a weak check valve in the lift pump because if i park downhill they start instantly but if the front end is elevated at all then they crank alot more before lighting off. Other than that they both run great.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'll try to get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It is a Federal Mogul/FP Diesel #FP-5135308. It has 3/8" MNPT on outlet end and 3/8" FNPT on inlet.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have called several places here in Colorado looking for this check valve, but have had no luck so far. I can buy them online for about $40.00/ea, however I think that it can be had for way less than that. Does anyone know what size fuel line a 460 gas powered, 1992 Ford F-350 has? I think I need this
3/8" check valve, but I am not certain. Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I checked for the current price that is paid for them at work. They are now$46.66! Sorry guys, they have tripled in price since I used one last!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts