Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys got a question about fuel lines i have a 95 jeep yj with a 350 in it and it has one fuel line to the tank and a pump on the motor its 3/8 rubber i took my 95 4bt out of a fedex truck and noticed it had a 3/8 line going to the pump and a bigger line going below the pump is this bigger line a return line or is it not related i should of traced it back i think my pump is the inline one because all of the injector lines are in a row thanks for any help or input i learned a lot from this forum so far and another question hase anyone fit the intercooler from one of these bread vans in a jeep does it have to go infront of the radiator or how about having it cut down a little by a radiator shop for better fitament thanks again for any input

·
Registered
915 Posts
3/8 supply and 5/16 return line should be fine. That is what I am running on my 6bt. I also cut down an intercooler for my chevy. I just cut it at the bottom of the tanks and had a buddy of mine tig some caps on the bottom of the tanks to seal it back up. It worked perfect and I have not seen any signs of leaks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel line intercooler

so thats it the two lines just go to the bottom of the tank and maybe put a filter in line. do you think by cutting down the intercooler it will still cool the air enough maybe put a electric fan on it

·
Registered
854 Posts
Please.....please....please end your sentences with a "period". It hurts my eyes to read your posts.

Can you put up a picture of your fuel pump? There should be no "larger" line beneath it.

One 3/8" in from the tank, and one steel line going up to the spin-on filter, that's it.

The return line is only 3/16" steel tube (brake line size) and is right behind the spin-on fuel filter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fuel line

I think the larger line goes to the lift pump if that is what it is. Does it have to go back to the tank. Its not a return line?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think the larger line goes to the lift pump if that is what it is. Does it have to go back to the tank. Its not a return line?
My 6BT has a 1/2" line from the filter to the lift pump and then 3/8 hard line to the injector pump. I would assume this is what you are seeing as the large line.

My intercooler seems to work quite well. After a drive you can feel that the inlet side is quite warm while the outlet side is right at ambient temperature. Intercoolers always work better if they are larger, but they will still cool just fine without a fan.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My 4BT fuel line is:

Fuel tank -> inline 3/8" fuel filter -> mechanical lift pump inlet -> hard line from lift pump outlet to spin-on fuel filter under intake -> injection pump

The 3/16" return line is tiny, and can be easily recognized because the injectors drain through it to a "t" that also has a 3/16" line from the injector pump. After the "t" it is return to the tank. (I use 1/4" fuel hose)

I use the 3/8" inline fuel filter to stop crap from the tank from running through the mechanical lift pump. I am going to replace the small 3/8" inline filter with a big Fleet Guard FS1000 filter this weekend. Just for piece of mind.

We have a big Hyster 70 forklift at work with a 8.3 liter 6CT Cummins, and it has a 3/8" inline filter between the tank and the lift pump, too....so it must be an OK set-up, really. It also runs through a spin-on filter after the lift pump, before injection pump.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I am going to replace the small 3/8" inline filter with a big Fleet Guard FS1000 filter this weekend. Just for piece of mind..
Hi Linctex, fitting the FS1000 is on my "to do" list, do you have a FP gauge? just wondering if you can give us a before 'n' after reading. BTW which fuel pump do you have? Thanks

Gaza

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hi Linctex, fitting the FS1000 is on my "to do" list, do you have a FP gauge? BTW which fuel pump do you have?
No FP gauge yet - - - it is also on my "to do" list! I will do something similar to what Carl Donica did on his, I think.

I have the plain ol' diaphragm style mechanical lift pump. I suppose someday when I am in the mood to do some tinkering I'll break down and spend the $$$ on the piston-style lift pump. A fella on eBay (Encore2000) sells parts numbers 3936323 and also 3936318: (one is $36 the other $45)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150015399690
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150015398551

There are several styles. I don't remember which numbers are high pressure, and to be avoided when using the Bosch VE pump due to the possibility that it may blow the front seal out? :confused:

Maybe I'll just add an inexpensive electric pump near the tank to help get fuel through the FS1000......

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fuel line

im going to have to post some pics. when i unhooked the lines the 3/8 line went from the tank to the top front of the inline pump. and there was another larger line coming from the tank to the lift pump im not saying its right i just want it to go back together right.

·
Registered
696 Posts
im going to have to post some pics. when i unhooked the lines the 3/8 line went from the tank to the top front of the inline pump. and there was another larger line coming from the tank to the lift pump im not saying its right i just want it to go back together right.
If it comes from the top front of the inline pump (A pump?) then thats is the return to the tank. Its a banjo bolt and the bolt has a spring and a ball bearing to keep the fuel pressure in the pump this is the same as the 6BT P7100 except on the 4BT A pump its on the outside of the pump.

Gaza

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fuel line

yes it has the bango bolt so thats the return and the 1/2 inch to the lift pump is the feed???

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fuel lines

thanks for the info all

·
Registered
854 Posts
If it comes from the top front of the inline pump (A pump?) then thats is the return to the tank.
Are "A" pumps usually speed governed or load governed?

What is the engine from?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pump

95 fedex truck had the ford t19 behind it 130hp

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fedex truck

yeah i was looking for one for a couple of weeks with no luck. all chevy 350 or what ever they are and chevy diesels. and they shut rt 95 down at night and sent trafic off an exit and there it was. 3000 later i drove it home. i proberly paid a little to much but it was local and i had the hole truck. i got the break booster and air cleaner throtel cable intercooler exhaust and everything else.

·
Registered
425 Posts
yeah i was looking for one for a couple of weeks with no luck. all chevy 350 or what ever they are and chevy diesels. and they shut rt 95 down at night and sent trafic off an exit and there it was. 3000 later i drove it home. i proberly paid a little to much but it was local and i had the hole truck. i got the break booster and air cleaner throtel cable intercooler exhaust and everything else.
Feel the same way, probably could have gotten one cheaper but it too was local and had an intercooler that the owner didn't mention in his add (good for me :D ) I've since scrapped most of the aluminum and haven't had to buy any steel yet since I've got a whole frame (used to anyways) to get some from. I've used quite a few things from the stepvan than just the motor. I'm glad I bought the whole package.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its hard work cutting up the aluminuim i gave up 1/4 way through and called a tow truck to take it away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts