Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get out of the other man post.
I'M Going to ask this again ..
.... THE MAN that did owns Triplet Fuel Injection in Waco Texas told me I need to change out my Fuel Injectors in order to get better fuel mileage.
... Now I set up my Ride.
..... I worked at the dealership when this pickup sold new to an old customer friend of mine . I like the truck the day he bought it. I even think I told him if I were to buy a new truck that's the one I'd buy.
SO Nothing special just a 2000, 24V, AUTO, 3:55'S Extended cab D2500 tr.
... He kept it for about 4 years & traded it in . & A second friend came in asking for a truck I told him about it & Said how I'd like to have this truck but I had my 91 & nothing was wrong with it . SO MY 2ND FRIEND BOUGHT THIS TRUCK.
HE RAISED THE MILEAGE UP TO ABOUT 150k. & His trans was causing issues & He had code 0216 bad injection pump . SO His cost of repair was going to be about $6500.oo.. SO HE TRIED TO TRADE IT IN, But our used car dept only offered him 500.00 for it. He came back bitching to me about how they tried to steal his truck. Just out of the clear Blue I said HELL I'D GIVE MORE THAN THAT . He ask what I'd give . & with out thinking I said I'd give him $1500.00.
He said PAY ME. SO I DID.
........ I fixed the Injection pump for about 1300.00 & Drove it to get a better fix on the trans. & Spent maybe 300.oo more on the trans .. It was never totally correct . & at about 300k I put in a new trans it works great now.
.............But the mileage has never been good as others say they get . Best I've ever gotten was 18.3 & Worse is 8 mpg pulling a 32 ft flat bed on a 555 mile one way hnting trip each year . Into NEW Mexico .
But the man at the injection shop in Waco where the company I just retired from sent our pumps to be rebuilt .. He kept telling me I need to change my injectors in order to get better Fuel Mileage.
He said their just like spark plugs & get tired &need to be replace about every 100K MILES .
I'VE NEVER HEARD ANYONE CHANGING INJECTORS FOR BETTER MILEAGE .
do any of you go along with this.
... I'll say since mine does have 365K on it now it' could hurt .But man that's cost about $800.00 TO CHANGE THEM OUT & THAT WOULD BUY A LOT OF FUEL .
I RUN Additives about every other tank of fuel & my filters stay changed about every 10K ONCE A YEAR.
..... Do any of you think you'd change the injectors .

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
I'd get them pop and spray tested. Way cheaper than throwing in new ones and you'll find out if they actually have a problem.

I paid a lot to recondition my 4BD1T injectors over a decade ago. They were apparently in terrible state. No change in fuel economy but some light off idle smoke I had disappeared.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
When I had the injectors rebuilt at ~ 300,000 miles in my 4BT I also saw no change in highway mileage but I did notice a marked improvement in the way it ran and drove as well as much less noticeable emissions from the tailpipe when below peak torque at modest loadings for me that is low speed forest service trails with RPM's between 1,200/1,500...

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Can you advance timing on that pump? Presuming you've got a VP44. I had a little nissan diesel with a VP44 pump and the difference in fuel economy between advanced until it grumbled and retarded until it was quiet was about 10%.

My one I had to edit the timing maps. Which was really inconvenient and I was learning as I go for what map does what. The maps and tuning method depends entirely on your ECU and how many methods you've got for tweaking it. I was working on a completely unknown platform.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
The man at the injection shop wasn't kidding you. Over time, the springs in the injectors relax and pop pressure goes down. In reality, that changes your timing. As for the mileage you have gotten, the 18.3 probably isn't far from what you might expect on a 24 valve, but I'm sure some get into the low 20 MPG range. The automatic consumes part of you mileage. A manual would probably break into the 20 MPG range. The 8 MPG number is absurd. Never heard of a Cummins getting that bad in a pickup. Usually more like 12-13 when heavily loaded. Now if your getting into high elevation the number would drop some. A friend of mine owned Dodges. He and his wife pulled a 30+ foot travel trailer and hauled an ATV in the bed from North Carolina to New Mexico for many years. He'd get about 15-16 with that terrible load. On my old 7.3 Ford, the best I could ever muster was 18 MPG and the worst was 12 MPG.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes as I said I was a Service Advisor at a big Dodge truck dealership. & We worked on about 100 diesel trucks a week.
Most from 94 up to 2010s. Through my 10 years at the stealership .
.... I could believe I had the worse mileage truck of them all.

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Yes as I said I was a Service Advisor at a big Dodge truck dealership. & We worked on about 100 diesel trucks a week.
Most from 94 up to 2010s. Through my 10 years at the stealership .
.... I could believe I had the worse mileage truck of them all.
Only a few percent of people accurately report fuel economy though.......

I know a guy with a diesel landcruiser who reports about 15 litres/100km (15.6 USMPG). Without towing!

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
494 Posts
I'm going to get out of the other man post.
I'M Going to ask this again ..
.... THE MAN that did owns Triplet Fuel Injection in Waco Texas told me I need to change out my Fuel Injectors in order to get better fuel mileage.
... Now I set up my Ride.
..... I worked at the dealership when this pickup sold new to an old customer friend of mine . I like the truck the day he bought it. I even think I told him if I were to buy a new truck that's the one I'd buy.
SO Nothing special just a 2000, 24V, AUTO, 3:55'S Extended cab D2500 tr.
... He kept it for about 4 years & traded it in . & A second friend came in asking for a truck I told him about it & Said how I'd like to have this truck but I had my 91 & nothing was wrong with it . SO MY 2ND FRIEND BOUGHT THIS TRUCK.
HE RAISED THE MILEAGE UP TO ABOUT 150k. & His trans was causing issues & He had code 0216 bad injection pump . SO His cost of repair was going to be about $6500.oo.. SO HE TRIED TO TRADE IT IN, But our used car dept only offered him 500.00 for it. He came back bitching to me about how they tried to steal his truck. Just out of the clear Blue I said HELL I'D GIVE MORE THAN THAT . He ask what I'd give . & with out thinking I said I'd give him $1500.00.
He said PAY ME. SO I DID.
........ I fixed the Injection pump for about 1300.00 & Drove it to get a better fix on the trans. & Spent maybe 300.oo more on the trans .. It was never totally correct . & at about 300k I put in a new trans it works great now.
.............But the mileage has never been good as others say they get . Best I've ever gotten was 18.3 & Worse is 8 mpg pulling a 32 ft flat bed on a 555 mile one way hnting trip each year . Into NEW Mexico .
But the man at the injection shop in Waco where the company I just retired from sent our pumps to be rebuilt .. He kept telling me I need to change my injectors in order to get better Fuel Mileage.
He said their just like spark plugs & get tired &need to be replace about every 100K MILES .
I'VE NEVER HEARD ANYONE CHANGING INJECTORS FOR BETTER MILEAGE .
do any of you go along with this.
... I'll say since mine does have 365K on it now it' could hurt .But man that's cost about $800.00 TO CHANGE THEM OUT & THAT WOULD BUY A LOT OF FUEL .
I RUN Additives about every other tank of fuel & my filters stay changed about every 10K ONCE A YEAR.
..... Do any of you think you'd change the injectors .
Your Waco fuel shop isn't wrong but is a bit over zealous on when to change out injectors....trust me, any injector is basically done at 200k. When I say done, I mean their far from being optimized. Resetting pop pressure would help but that can't change the fact that the nozzles aren't going to atomize the fuel correctly & the spray pattern will be off some. At 365k don't waste your $ on getting anything checked....
Yes, you can & will get better fuel mileage with a new or rebuilt set. For even better fuel mileage over stock injectors or nozzles ( 1-1.5mpg gain ) look at a set of the RV275 injectors or nozzles. Other bonus is a 40hp to the rear wheels gain over stock injectors with RV275 injectors/nozzles. This is what the motor home engines came with from factory. Improved spray angle & hole count. Completely safe & same cost as regular inj's.
The quote of $800 is high, as it takes 2 hrs to change out injectors on a 2nd gen 24v engine.
RV275 nozzle set can be had for $219 & complete inj's for $449 for a set.

·
494 Posts
Charles, Connector Tubes are only needed to be replaced with engine ser # 56462592 and lower #...so that is the 1998 and maybe some real early 1999 engines.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your Waco fuel shop isn't wrong but is a bit over zealous on when to change out injectors....trust me, any injector is basically done at 200k. When I say done, I mean their far from being optimized. Resetting pop pressure would help but that can't change the fact that the nozzles aren't going to atomize the fuel correctly & the spray pattern will be off some. At 365k don't waste your $ on getting anything checked....
Yes, you can & will get better fuel mileage with a new or rebuilt set. For even better fuel mileage over stock injectors or nozzles ( 1-1.5mpg gain ) look at a set of the RV275 injectors or nozzles. Other bonus is a 40hp to the rear wheels gain over stock injectors with RV275 injectors/nozzles. This is what the motor home engines came with from factory. Improved spray angle & hole count. Completely safe & same cost as regular inj's.
The quote of $800 is high, as it takes 2 hrs to change out injectors on a 2nd gen 24v engine.
RV275 nozzle set can be had for $219 & complete inj's for $449 for a set.
..........Mark is that Price from you or your business.. That's the Injectors I thought I wanted. one of my Sons used to put in RV injectors on all his new trucks .. Thanks for the info. Are those Bosh injectors .

·
494 Posts
Yes, the injectors are Bosch & on my site.

·
494 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey, I'm located in the Cariboo of B.C.
Nice, I'm on the island. I'm always Leary of buying off web sites that show no physical address.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts