Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if everyone is paying attention, but for the last few weeks the price of fuel has been dropping like a rock. There is, however, an exception. Diesel fuel isn't going down, At my local station yesterday, regular unleaded was $1.839 and diesel $2.599. Diesel is the same price it was months ago. This is true of every station I looked at. Absolutely no sense in that. It's made from the same crude oil as the gas. In reality, it should be cheaper than gas but that's a different issue. With the plummeting price of crude oil there is no financial reason for diesel to remain high. In my state there is a hotline to report price gouging in this time of emergency. I've reported it and I urge everyone to call or email you state agency or congressman to complain. This is price gouging by the big oil companies, pure and simple. In my case I get hit twice because I heat my home with #2 heating fuel which is of course #2 diesel with a little purple dye added.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Falling prices seems to be very regional. Neither fuel has really budged in eastern WA.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Northern UT - unleaded is $2.35 and Diesel is $2.59 and holding steady for the last week or so. I have heard that the reason for the higher cost of diesel is due to the removal of alkali metals and sulfur.

Cj

·
Registered
11,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, unleaded regular went down another penny today to $1.829. Fuel prices are dropping and if yours are staying the same you have a problem. Brent crude is at $30.45 and West Texas is $27.15 per barrel. At the end of 2019 oil was at $61.06 per barrel. That should tell you that the raw product has dropped more than 50% and if pump prices stay the same someone is making a huge profit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Average gas prices by state

USA gas price heat map

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Dropped around 20c a gallon here, paying around $3 a gallon now. US gallons and Dollars. A$1.35 a litre in Western Australia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know if everyone is paying attention, but for the last few weeks the price of fuel has been dropping like a rock. There is, however, an exception. Diesel fuel isn't going down, At my local station yesterday, regular unleaded was $1.839 and diesel $2.599. Diesel is the same price it was months ago. This is true of every station I looked at. Absolutely no sense in that. It's made from the same crude oil as the gas. In reality, it should be cheaper than gas but that's a different issue. With the plummeting price of crude oil there is no financial reason for diesel to remain high. In my state there is a hotline to report price gouging in this time of emergency. I've reported it and I urge everyone to call or email you state agency or congressman to complain. This is price gouging by the big oil companies, pure and simple. In my case I get hit twice because I heat my home with #2 heating fuel which is of course #2 diesel with a little purple dye added.
This is not price gouging, gas and diesel rarely move at the same rate. Gas swings widely in pricing all the time and diesel price moves slowly.

The issue at hand is demand, right now gasoline is at a very low demand so the price of it is extremely low, far fewer people are going to work so there is no demand for gasoline. Diesel demand remains study, transportation uses diesel, construction uses diesel, jet fuel is a version of diesel so demand for diesel remains study and thisbis why you do not see movement in the price.

The up side to this is over long period of time even when gas goes this low diesel still is cheaper, because as soon as everyone gets back to work gasoline price will rise.

Also Russia is flooding the market with oil further suppressing the price.

·
Registered
11,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your prices in Mississippi sound more in line with what they should be. I'll look today when I go out to see it there's been any drop around here. Art, I understand why in some cases the price of diesel might hang at a high level, but this is not a normal situation. Just think of all the school buses that use diesel that are now sitting idle. There are quite a few transport trucks in a similar status. The price of diesel has to go down.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I HAVE BEEN Expressing my displeasures about this fuel price . & I Sell a lot of produce to the small oil companys .
I feel I get to see a big picture of where the money is .
But I can't see why it is as high as it is today . I saw diesel in a town 50 mile from my house at 1.79 last week . But my town is still 2.59.
& TO Me the guys driving the trucks diesel should be much cheaper . & Gasoline should but the one they gouge with .
... FOR THE last several years most of my customer have really took some bad hits.
............. But gas should be 2.50 a gallon & Diesel should be 1.50 But now they take the sulfur out of the diesel & it cost more .. But my customers make money at 2.50.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
05f150mpg... Now I could ask what does your handle stand far.
Where do you live .
I can't find any Ethanol free gas .

·
Registered
60 Posts
May have to start doing big block gas swaps (joking I hope). Gas is $0.99 / gallon now.

papitt, the handle is for the 2005 F150 project I have that I hope gets decent MPG if I ever finish it. I put an ISB 170 and 6 speed Allison in it. With the 3.55 gears and double overdrive maybe it will do decent. I just got to do the intake, exhaust, wiring, and a few other things. I have over 20 projects on my short list to do and the truck didn't even make it on the list though.

I live in South MS.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
20 project you may be one of the few that has as many project as I do.
I'm almost 71.. I've got to get rid of about 15 of mine ... OBVIOUSLY I'LL not finish that many before I get to the finish line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick note. Diesel is inherently cheaper than gasoline. Also inherently 12% higher in energy per unit volume.

Like cereal, we are charged what we are willing to pay for it, no less. If everyone decided in synchrony that Cheerios were worth not more than $1.35 for the "standard" box, that would be the new price. Diesel is the same.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Quick note. Diesel is inherently cheaper than gasoline. Also inherently 12% higher in energy per unit volume.

Like cereal, we are charged what we are willing to pay for it, no less. If everyone decided in synchrony that Cheerios were worth not more than $1.35 for the "standard" box, that would be the new price. Diesel is the same.
I thought is was cheaper than gasoline, up until the new sulfur standards forced more refinement, increasing the production cost.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I thought is was cheaper than gasoline, up until the new sulfur standards forced more refinement, increasing the production cost.
The ULSD standard only raises the production costs by about $0.10/gal in the US. What we are seeing in the price is the capital costs that refiners shelled out to meet the standards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts