Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out priming my fuel pump (W/ the hand primer on lift pump) thinking fuel would be coming out the injector tubes but fuel keeps coming out the return lines right at the injectors am I doing something wrong ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your getting the results one would expect. You would only get fuel out of the injector lines if the crankshaft was turning. Sounds to me like your pump is primed.:smokin:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i"ve cranked the motor but theres no pressure out the inj lines . I've even cracked the lines coming out the inj pump but still no fuel anybody have any suggestions ? Does the return line bolt up to the back of the inj pump ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If your pump is a VE type, there will be a bango bolt fuel return on the back of the pump next to the fuel screw. You may want to be sure you have 12 volts to the fuel solenoid valve.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I was in church not listening to the message but thinking instead of my 4b , I forgot all about that solenoid . I still don't have a prime from my oil pump but I think I'll try a few things I've done before to get a pump to prime . Thanx for the reply !

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dont forget to pre oil the turbo. The Cummins Shop manual says this is needed after a long layup. Cummins directs to pull the high pressure oil line from the turbo and inject a few cc's of oil, then reattach the oil line.

Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
prime

Yes thank you ! I just sold a new turbo (H1C) to a customer if mine for a Case 580 SK backhoe. I was looking in the box for the gaskets & came across the prelube instructions so I took a copy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts