Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of people eliminating the fuel selinoid, but I haven't seen any "how to" thread. I will have a cable shut off and I would like to get rid of the selinoid for reliability reasons. (I would hate to be shut down for broken selinoid.)

I did a search and couldn't find anything. I would really like a how to with pics.

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
Assuming this is a VE injection pump, this mod isn't complicated. First, you need to remove the solenoid from the pump. Remove the little plunger and spring from the unit and then replace it in the pump. You can leave the wires connected if you have the KSB on the pump. Next, come up with a control cable for the shut off arm. Tractor supply sells them for farm tractors as many of those are mechanical shut down. Their part CC66 which is $13.99. If you hang it under the dash you'll need to make an L bracket for that. You can find many other shut down cables. Here's a video that walks you through it.
If this was a P pump you simply remove the solenoid setup from the pump and attach the cable to the control arm on the pump.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks easy. I had the shutoff cable figured out. I just wasn't sure about what had to be done on the selinoid itself. Of course that's the one thing he didn't elaborate on (or show) very much. But it still looks easy.

Thankyou Charley, you really need to get paid for all your help here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Military vehicle "diesel engine shutdown cables" have a twist locking feature to keep the cable where you set it to.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Military vehicle "diesel engine shutdown cables" have a twist locking feature to keep the cable where you set it to.
I'm not sure why I would need a lock. The spring on the injection pump should keep it from vibrating to shut off while driving. It's not going to vibrate in if it's not running. I figure when I want it to shut off, I will pull till it stops and then immediately push it back in. It's not like it will start again unless I hit the starter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure why I would need a lock. The spring on the injection pump should keep it from vibrating to shut off while driving. It's not going to vibrate in if it's not running. I figure when I want it to shut off, I will pull till it stops and then immediately push it back in. It's not like it will start again unless I hit the starter.
It was a legal requirement in many countries, if you didn't have a locking kill knob and left it in gear (outside the US, auto's were- and still are in anything bigger than a car- very rare) and someone hit your vehicle, it would 'clutchstart' and tootle off down the road sans driver...
Not a good thing....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a legal requirement in many countries, if you didn't have a locking kill knob and left it in gear (outside the US, auto's were- and still are in anything bigger than a car- very rare) and someone hit your vehicle, it would 'clutchstart' and tootle off down the road sans driver...
Not a good thing....
Makes sense.

So I got a cable custom made and I just got done altering the fuel selinoid. Tested and works. Everything was easy except removing the selinoid. I was tight to get a wrench in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts