Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if I want to use a hand-operated cable for the fuel shut-off on my 4BD2, or if I should just retain the factory servo motor. I found a lot of information on how the 4BD1 operates, using two separate cables --- one for shut-off, and another for cold-start enrichment. My engine seems to only have one cable to control all of this.

The picture below shows the top of the injection pump and the fuel control lever. There appears to be a detent in the middle of the lever movement. The cable is completely pulled to the right when the engine is off. I'm not sure what "Position 1" or "Position 2" are for. Is one for normal fuel delivery and the other one for enrichment? Does this thing even have three modes, or am I just crazy? :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
Did you get to see it working in the truck?

On the 4BD1's that's just the shutoff lever, but who knows. The enrichment cable pulls on a cam on the block side of the pump. It's the same shaft that the "max fuel screw" works on on the outside of the pump.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably should have looked to see how it worked before I pulled the engine. I still have the truck (not at my house, though), so I could probably see if the servo motor has two positions or one.

The only cable or linkage on the block side of the pump is connected to the fuel filter assembly, which I presume was linked to the accelerator pedal inside the cab. I took about fifty pictures before I removed the motor, but I guess that wasn't enough...

Maybe the 4BD2 doesn't use cold-start enrichment?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, didn't know that about indirect injection. So, do you think the light detent I'm feeling with the lever is just the internal movement of the injection pump?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts