Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am ready to fire up the diesel on friday How do i get the fuel to shut of when the ignition shuts down their is one red wire on the injection pump is that the wire i want to hook to the ignition or how do i get the fuel to shut off once the diesel is running:idea:

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Power up the wire to the fuel solenoid on the IP, and it'll run. Cut power, it shuts off the fuel.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The wire on shut off needs to have power form ignition in the run position ,key is turned off the engine will shut down.

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
also, on the side of the pump slightly forward of the solenoid is a small lever....that is the manual fuel cut-off.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
One other thing: I and another fella on his swap had the same problem. The ignition switch couldn't carry enough current in the 'Start' position to both hold open the fuel solenoid and crank the engine. He finally got his to work with another ignition switch. On mine I turn key to 'On' position to open fuel solenoid and have a separately wired 'Start' 50 amp pushbutton to crank starter over.

You can also mount another pushbutton under hood area for cranking engine from there instead of inside vehicle. That can be handy when bleeding fuel lines. This way, depending on how you wire fuel solenoid on ignition switch, you can either crank only, or crank and start from under hood when switch is on. Works for me.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I used the factory ignition wire (red?) to power my solenoid, and also kept the factory starter solenoid on the inner fender to supply power to the starter solenoid and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just used the wire that went to the positive terminal of the ignition coil.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Something else to look for on some vehicles (older ones that came with points ignition, primarily..) is that there may be a dropping resistor / resistance wire used between the ignition switch and the coil. This drops the voltage to about 6-9V, which may not be enough to kick the fuel solenoid.

Had this one bite me first time I converted a VW Sirocco from points to electronic ignition. They used resistance wire, so no visible "dropping resistor" in circuit. Fun fun fun..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Something else to look for on some vehicles (older ones that came with points ignition, primarily..) is that there may be a dropping resistor / resistance wire used between the ignition switch and the coil. This drops the voltage to about 6-9V, which may not be enough to kick the fuel solenoid.
Good point!

The ignition coil feed on the early Bronco has the resistance wire you describe. The project Halfbreed is working on is an early Bronco so your caution may apply.

James

·
Registered
854 Posts
You can use the factory resistor wire to control a relay for the fuel solenoid.
The $3 little black plastic cube relays in the fog light section would work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts