Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone school me on the fuel solenoid/glow plug circuit?

In this pic, from the yahoo site:
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/cummins4BT/photos/view/4c04?b=1

I believe the connection on the top rear of the injection pump is the fuel solenoid, is that correct? What is the valve with the electrical connection that is attached to the side of the I/P? It's my understanding, from reading the bosch book, that the same circuit feeds as single glow plug on the same side of the engine in the middle of the head, is that right? If so it's very different from other diesels I've worked on which are very few.

Last question. There are multiple wires coming to the connection on the top rear of the I/P. Can this circuit simply be wired with a single feed? If so how much current does it need to handle given that it also feeds the glow plug?

Thanks. Actually, one more question. I need to get a manual but the Cummins site only lists a manual for the B engines that covers like 1991 and later, my engine is earlier. Does it matter? Is there another source for manuals to cover a 1988 engine?

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
854 Posts
1) I believe the connection on the top rear of the injection pump is the fuel solenoid, is that correct?
2) What is the valve with the electrical connection that is attached to the side of the I/P?
3) It's my understanding, from reading the bosch book, that the same circuit feeds as single glow plug on the same side of the engine in the middle of the head, is that right?
4) There are multiple wires coming to the connection on the top rear of the I/P.
5) If so how much current does it need to handle given that it also feeds the glow plug?
1) Yes
2) KDP solenoid (adjusts timing when cold, reads from temp switch
3) No glow plug at all on B series Cummins. Sure it isn't a temp sensing switch?
4) Pics? Sounds like a temps sensing switch
5) No glow plugs

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) Yes
2) KDP solenoid (adjusts timing when cold, reads from temp switch
3) No glow plug at all on B series Cummins. Sure it isn't a temp sensing switch?
4) Pics? Sounds like a temps sensing switch
5) No glow plugs
THANKS! Just what I needed to know.

66Gaza, thanks for the clarification.

I'll try to hold any further stupid questions until I have read more. Can't wait for those manuals to arrive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts