Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just remove the fuel pump from a FI tank and add a tube that reaches the bottom and you are done. Easy.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My return line dumps into the vent side of the fuel filler tube.

Meaning....there are two steel tubes between the gas cap and the tank: one to fill the tank (about 1-1/2") and the other a vent (about 5/8") when filling.

My return dumps into the vent tube. It was easier to do that than drop the tank and mess with the sending unit part.

·
Registered
853 Posts
As for the pickup tube - stainless and about 3/8" from the bottom? Any specific diameter better than another?

Not really......since most efi pumps have a 5/16" (8mm) nipple where they have the hose clamp onto them, I have always just used the same size tube.

Just notch the bottom like this -> l / \ l
and you can get closer to the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Does anyone use a screen or some type of filter in the tank? Is it necessary?
My '79 had a screen in tank, but over the years enough crud entered the tank to obstruct flow. I removed the screen and added a disposable 3/8" inline filter in the line from tank to pump to catch the chunks. I am soon upgrading to a LARGE Fleetguard filter, in line between tank and pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.