Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all the time here but rarely post. I have been trying to gleen information so I can plan out a swap for my early Bronco. However something has come up...I found and bought an extremely clean FSB (full size) 95 Eddie Bauer with some engine issues. I bought it thinking it would be perfect for the 4bt swap and not be tampering with my Classic Bronco. I managed to get the engine problems fixed at virtually no expense..but my 4bt wheels have already started turning..so here goes...I did a search too btw...Would this work..a sbf adaptor with a 7.3 powerstroke convertor in front of my stock e40d? The trans according to the owner was rebuilt once..it shifts great and fluid is nice and bright. I realize it has a 4 bolt TC and the stroke is 6 bolt..I figure I would just redrill the flexplate. I would have to use a stand alone contoller for the shifting. The truck with 31's is taching about 1700 at 60mph. I plan on going to 33's so that will drop it a little..hopefully not to much, as I was not wanting to regear the 3.55 it has. Will the 2.72 first ratio and 3.55 rear ratio with 33's be to tall for the 4bt to start off decent? Any folks with experience swappin a 4bt in a full size ford or bronco Id appreciate a phone call to btw if ya have time 704-507-2453. I am hoping to get into the 20 + mpg club :)
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Be cautious of people selling tranny controllers on the 4r100,...they will blow a bunch of smoke up yer ass just to sell you there product. My first controller that was suggested by FC conversions was a major POS.:(

I'm just now getting the PCS controller that I bought a few weeks ago, programmed like I want it and the difference is like nite & day. bounce

·
Registered
31 Posts
LOL,...That's the very POS that I've been dealing with for the last year trying to make the thing shift.:(
The PCS shifter is a way bedder unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 300 six was internally balanced from 1965 to 1997. Not sure how that has anything to do with the flexplate one would need for a 4BT.
What I'm trying to say is that the flexplate from an I6 might work because it is not balanced to compensate for an externally-balanced engine. In other words 4bt=internally balanced=no compensated flywheel. Ford I6=internally balanced=no compensated flywheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read all the time here but rarely post. I have been trying to gleen information so I can plan out a swap for my early Bronco. However something has come up...I found and bought an extremely clean FSB (full size) 95 Eddie Bauer with some engine issues. I bought it thinking it would be perfect for the 4bt swap and not be tampering with my Classic Bronco. I managed to get the engine problems fixed at virtually no expense..but my 4bt wheels have already started turning..so here goes...I did a search too btw...Would this work..a sbf adaptor with a 7.3 powerstroke convertor in front of my stock e40d? The trans according to the owner was rebuilt once..it shifts great and fluid is nice and bright. I realize it has a 4 bolt TC and the stroke is 6 bolt..I figure I would just redrill the flexplate. I would have to use a stand alone contoller for the shifting. The truck with 31's is taching about 1700 at 60mph. I plan on going to 33's so that will drop it a little..hopefully not to much, as I was not wanting to regear the 3.55 it has. Will the 2.72 first ratio and 3.55 rear ratio with 33's be to tall for the 4bt to start off decent? Any folks with experience swappin a 4bt in a full size ford or bronco Id appreciate a phone call to btw if ya have time 704-507-2453. I am hoping to get into the 20 + mpg club :)
Thanks
Rob
I am wanting to know the same thing about this. I have a 90 f150 with 300 and e4od. I would like to replace the 300 with a 4bt and use my transmission since it only has 10k to 20k miles on it. I have a 93 f250 idi and e4od that the trans has gone out but none of these are apart to do the leg work to see.

So questions are to make this easy:

Can you put a 7.3 idi TC in a e4od that went in a 300's e4od.
Will a 7.3 TC bolt bolt to a 4bt's flexplate?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yes the 300/6 is internally balanced but the flex plate and/or flywheel has only 6 mount bolt holes. The Cummins uses eight bolts to mount the flexplate or flywheel to the crank flange.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts