Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
Got your parts done, nice. What is the total length of your adapter, flange to flange? TIA

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was wondering if when you got all of this bolted up where did the transfercase crossmember bolt holes end up, was wondering when you got all of the adapters you are using now machined into one part could the adapter assembly end up leaving the fuller/241 bolting up to the stock location in the Dodge ram, are you currently hooking up this adapter so you can use 4x4 in your truck??? How is it going? I got to looking at fullers online and if one could a pull out you could really save money on the sae #2 conversion, I have found the 14 inch aftermarket cummins flywheels for $200 and the aftermarket 5.9 /3.9 cummins for $300 as well new aftermarket. The 14 inch stock clutch set up is around $400 as well for the Sae #2 conversion to use the Fuller 6 speed. So add it up, $250 ebay new flywheel 14 inch, ebay new aftermarket Sae#2 bellhousing $300, 14 inch clutch $400, Fuller 6 speed od pullout with the shifter and clutchhousing seem to be $1000 to $2500 depending on who has one, core policy, etc etc, it might be cheaper to buy a core non overdrive and install the od parts, all we need to know know is how much is a Sanco adapter and when will it be available?? I have a 2001 with bad nv4500 that they want $2800 to rebuild. I am limping around hoping this swap/adapter will come to market soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The adapter and Fuller transmission only added 3-1/2" to the stock Nv5600/NP241 length. The total length of the adapter is 7" and the shaft length is 6". The Fuller transmission has 3 holes on each side at the rear of the trans housing. Some of the SAE #2 flywheel housings (Ford) have 4 holes on each side for motor mounts. The 700R4 transmission adapter has a base plate mount as well. You have choices as to how you want to mount and support the assembly. I haven't tried to use the original Dodge cross member.

If you have time, you can find REAL bargains on conversion parts. It's not uncommon to get the transmission and all the other parts for $1500. You have to be patient and best if you have time to gather the parts. Look for parts trucks such as Ford trucks (F550, F650, F750), Freightliner FL60, 70, 80, small Peterbilt & Sterling. The SAE #2 Cummins housing has been used since 1989 and FSO Fullers 1998 to current. You can covert a FS transmission to a FSO, but the cost of the 3 sets of synchros will cost over $1000 new.

I want to send the Fuller adapter and shaft to a few fabricators to see if we can have castings made to cut down on the machine shop time. As it stands now, one adapter at a time, Richard can make it for $1250. I would like to see the cost come down to $650 or less to make it affordable. It will take some time to work this out.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Chansey,

So, did you end up machining the ID of the TC adapter for a female press fit, later welded, over the turned down end of the splined TC input shaft, or did you find a TC input shaft that was already the right size?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The NP241 T/C is the stock 29 tooth Dodge version involute female spline.

I used the broken output shaft from the NV5600 and press fitted it to the machined flange then dowel pinned it to hold it in place. The Fuller companion flange portion is held in place by the stock yoke nut. The mating portion (T/C shaft end) is bolted to the companion flange with 6 each 1/4-28 Grade 10 bolts. No welding anywhere.

Total length of the adapter is 7" and the shaft end to end is 6" long.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chansey
Great work. I've been reading you thread on cumminsforum. Have you gotten any farther on getting a kit produced?
Thanks
Ramsey

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
yankneck696,

The 2nd prototype is much better and less parts.

Paul

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Fuller 4X4 Transfer Case Adapter Update

I have haven’t given up on the Eaton-Fuller 4X4 adapter. I am now on my 3rd prototype in an attempt to use OEM parts wherever possible. The first prototype was developed just to see if an adapter could be made and to see if it would function while in use. It worked well, however it just had too many parts to make the adapter economically and affordable for those who just want a reliable 4X4 truck.
This is the assembled 2nd prototype

This assembly uses the OEM Fuller rear bearing retainer, Chevy 4X4 T/C adapter, custom clocking ring, OEM Dana 4 bolt 38 spline companion flange and custom companion 29 spline stub shaft.
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Here are a few of the associate components of the Fuller trans and adapter installation

Slave Clutch
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Master Cylinder bracket-Illustration only
[/URL][/IMG]

Transmission Mounts

[/URL][/IMG]

any questions, just ask..... Paul

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know it's been awhile, but have there been any breakthroughs with this project?

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
I phoned him quite some time ago. I have not seen him post in some time. He had some health issues he was dealing with.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts