Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 318 Posts

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have the chance to buy an Eaton 9 speed tranny NOS for cheap, are they air shifted or stick?

Gaza
Both, the range is air shifted, the rest is a stick.
Be careful what size it is, as most 9 speeds are over 650LB, not suitable for smaller vehicles.
What is the model number?

Grigg

·
Registered
696 Posts
Its an FSO/8309 H which I think means Synronised, Overdrive 800ftlbs rated and 9 speed. I think the H is the shift pattern. When I googled it the weight came out at about 340lbs which is similar to a NV5600. Can you give me any more insight?

Gaza

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
It's not the kind of Roadranger I am familiar with, (not really a Roadranger, just a Fuller), it probably has only one countershaft.
I don't know much if anything about it... I did look into those models, but I was told to leave them alone, they are difficult and expensive to work on.
But if you got a good one for cheap what's it hurt to try?

You can find most all you could want to know on the Fuller website:
http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger/GLSearchResult/index.htm?ssUserText=fso+8309

Good luck,
Grigg,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fullers are Full of it

Hi All,

Nice discussion on what Fuller to use. If offered an NV5600 new-used or otherwise, I would give you $100 to take it out of my sight.

I agree that using the FS Series Fuller in a one ton or smaller truck is the easiest way to go. I also agree that if you are used to shifting, there is very little noticeable difference between a synchrobized trans and on that is not synchronized.

The only draw back to using the larger 8 & 10-13 speed Fullers is the requirement for an air supply.

FO-8406a-AWS%20Arrival-2_small1.jpg this FO-8406ASX was purchased on Ebay for $152.50 and is being converted to an FSO-8406
Uper%20&%20Lower%20Gear%20Train_small.JPG

Just got to love something that anyone can work on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yah, Air supply won't be an issue for me as I'll be running air bag suspension (at least in the rear) so air needed there.... Plus air horns. :D Plus have hookups for air tools/tire fillers...... So either an engine driven compressor or a nice electric... Not sure on that yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A local yard has an RTO-610. They want $950 + $250 core.... It's not rebuilt, so I'm not sure what the core thing is all about. But I notice alot of yards are doing that now.

Sound good?

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If it's in good shape and needs no parts then that is likely a fair price, but a little on the high side in my opinion. If unknown condition, then 500 could be high..
That core charge makes no sense. If it's a used transmission at a junk yard they should put the price they want on it, not fabricate a price. I would expect a rebuilder to have a core charge, in which case an RTO6610 core is approx 1,000, and an RTO610 core charge is almost as high.

I would keep looking, I paid about as much as your yard is asking for the four I have combined, one is OD, and two are the newer models (6610).

Just for reference, a rebuilder will ask around 2,000 plus the 1,000 core charge for an RTO-6610, but I don't know anyone that's paid that much. The RTO-610 will be nearly as expensive.

Call around some more before you decide on the first one you found.

I'll post the instructions and part numbers needed to take either the 610 or the 6610 and make an OD from a non OD version. The parts run 400-600 depending on which you have.

Grigg

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It is relatively simple to upgrade a non overdrive 6 or 66 series 10 or 13 speed Roadranger transmission to an overdrive one.

You will need to interchange the front two gears on each countershaft.

You will also need a "kit" that includes the first two gears on the main shaft and the sliding clutch.

The OD "kit" for an RT-610 transmission or 613 should be part number K-1671, and cost about $618 as of 2-08.

The OD "kit" for an RT-6610 transmission or 6613 should be part number K-2019, and cost about $482 as of 2-08.

You should also get a gasket kit for your model transmission. You may or may not need a new input shaft, depending on what version you already have. Chances are you need a new one either way, as the splines on your old one are probably worn at the clutch disc...

To order these kits, or any other Eaton/Fuller transmission parts you can probably get them from your local truck parts place... However I would call Randall at Central Truck and Trailer in Hagerstown MD, (301) 797-1995. He has been a great help in gathering this information, you could help him out by buying parts from him, In addition to being a great guy, he also has the best prices on Eaton Fuller parts I could find, (as well as many other truck parts). He can also ship parts wherever you may be.

Grigg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where the heck are you gettin them tranny's grigg! I've spent hours on heavytruckparts.net and called a couple local yards.. They all want around $1000 for a used tranny...... I found a rebuilder on ebay that sells lots of fuller/roadranger trannys..... I've thought of calling them and just seeing what they'd charge outright for a tranny.

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
How do you find them? Don't be in a rush, and always keep yours eyes open. I found some on ebay, some local, never tried heavytruckparts.net?
I knew it would be a long time before I had my truck on the road, so I started with what I could find, an RT-610, it is externally the same as the later version, so I could build my truck around it just the same, I did check it over and fix a few things so I could use it if I had to. All the while I was looking for a good deal on an RTO-6610, which I eventually found, and swapped out the RT-610 in my truck/chassis for the one I wanted all along.

I think I know the rebuilder on ebay you are thinking of, my guess is they will be the most expensive yet, other than a genuine Eaton Fuller reman.

Grigg

·
Registered
88 Posts
That was my thoughts exactly..... I may end up settling for paying more as I want this truck driveable as fast as my budget will allow.. (Which right now is set on "infinity" :) )

I'll probably end up dealing with a yard...... Still, $1000 dollars is a bargain when they want half that for an NV4500......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.....I did some searching, but didn't find what I wanted so here goes........Are there any of the transmissions that have been talked about in this post a direct fit onto a 4BT? Would any of them be feasable? I doubt anything over 8 speeds would, but you guys tell me. I am seriously considering putting a 4BT into a late model Jeep. To say the least, my interest is pegged wide open. My wife is pissed already, she knows it is project time!

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Most all of these Eaton, Fuller, and Roadranger transmissions will fit the Cummins B series, but you need the proper SAE flywheel housing/adapter, and the flywheel to match.
SAE#2 is the most common size for these "industrial" transmissions, with some smaller ones using SAE #3, and the ones that are way to big using #1.

Grigg

·
Registered
15 Posts
shifting is shifting.

So the RT series aren't rated at any more torque than the FS series fullers? Crud...... Oh well, It's probably one of those deals where it's so over-built it wont matter anyway...

So, if the price is right, a 610 is still a good buy, just a little noisier (though, with dual straight-piped stacks, I doubt I'll notice. ;) ) and 60 lbft less torque. (woopy-ding....)
I like to shift just like the rest of the truckers......... Im just an old retired farmer........ I have 6 and 9 and a 10 tranny's in trucks. Its not how much torque its how you use it........ get a pick-up and put something big and heavy in it. Try to show off to the kids at the local fast food place and you can shift your arm off and never get over 25mph in de parking lot. YOU won't win any races with truck trannies around town.......... but you will sound like a trucker ........
Just my two sence (cents)worth.....

82 Isuzu diesel
80 MB 300sd
90 Dodge diesel
97 Freightliner

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, I understand that.. I just don't want to break it... but, after hearing how much torque Griggs Detriot is putting out, I'm not worried anymore... :)

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
...I just don't want to break it... but, after hearing how much torque Griggs Detroit is putting out, I'm not worried anymore... :)
Not sure 435 lbft is all that much?? that's best case for a factory rating. I would expect a little more with different injectors and an intercooler, but nothing spectacular. I'll probably still be under the 600 lbft my clutch is rated for, and the 660 the transmission is rated for. Even if I make more than that it'll probably hold together just fine for my use.

Grigg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh, I thought your 4-53T was waayyyyyy higher than that........ My mistake..

I thought I remembered you saying that the 4-53T was in like the 1000+ range.

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Oh, I thought your 4-53T was waayyyyyy higher than that........ My mistake..

I thought I remembered you saying that the 4-53T was in like the 1000+ range.
Yep, you had torque ftlb confused with RPM. I made an earlier post stating (for a Silver 53 series) that peak HP was at 2,500 rpm and torque was at 1,500, but I forgot the RPM part, (I have corrected that post)
My reply to the earlier confusion can be found here:
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52149#post52149

Sorry to disappoint..
Grigg

21 - 40 of 318 Posts