Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after i swap in the 4bt and make a cross memeber for the tranny and everything is ready to go,
then what?

Besides getting all the gas out of the tank and rinsing a little with the diesel, what else is needed?
Do I need to replace the float/sending unit in the tank?
I have no clue, but I have had a few mechanics tell me its a lot of work and that I dont know what im getting into........

Please help
thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
The fuel tank is the easy part.Toss the in tank pump,if you have one.Extend that line down to the bottom of the tank,use metal line.Leave a 1/2 inch gap to allow fuel to be sucked up.Do the same for the return line.It needs to go to 1/2 inch off the bottom to keep the fuel from foaming up,or so I am told.Your fuel level sending unit should be fine as long as it's metal or plastic.I would use a quality fuel injection hose to connect from the tank sender to the chassis fuel lines.If you have fuel lines that are made to fit your sending unit,stick with those.Do not listen to auto mechanics when it comes to diesels.Ask a diesel mechanic.Very few auto mechanics know how diesels are set up.Many will tell you that you can't swap a diesel into a gas burner.Thank fully you found this site to give you real first hand experience and knowledge.

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
I have no clue, but I have had a few mechanics tell me its a lot of work and that I dont know what im getting into........

Please help
thanks
And most mechanics are idiots that cant even fathom doing a swap like this. For fuel system remove any in tank fuel pump and replace with a 3/8" tube to suck fuel from the bottom of your tank, rerun your current sending unit if it is in good working order, replace your fuel filter and try to pump some diesel through your fuel lines or if they are rusty or damaged just replace them with some new fuel line, you can buy 25 ft spools for aluminum for $30 from summit racing or jegs. Very simple and easy to do in an afternoon. You are on the right track as far as just rinsing the tank out with diesel, if its an old metal tank make sure to get any rust or junk deposits out and check for any pinholes that may get uncovered when you do remove the silt/junk in the tank, you'd be suprised how well that stuff will seal up a tank and how much it will leak afterwards.

·
Registered
65 Posts
adding another question to the topic. there is one supply line .33'' one return line.33'' .is there also a vent line as well?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Might be worth looking for a new one even, I found a brand new tank for $55 shipped.

·
Registered
324 Posts
adding another question to the topic. there is one supply line .33'' one return line.33'' .is there also a vent line as well?
Your tank should vent thru the gas cap or have an evaporator system with a charcoal type canister to catch the fumes.Not sure if the evap system is useful on a diesel.I believe your factory lines will supply enough fuel.Yes,there needs to be a return line to the tank.I think the lines on older american vehicles are 3/8 supply and 5/16 return.Another issue is the fuel filler or fill hole.It will be to small to accept the diesel pump nozzle at the fuel station.You can pick one up at a scrap yard for a few dollars.Don't forget the cap and try to get the hoses just in case.If there was ever a diesel vehicle like yours,you should be able to find a direct bolt on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts