Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m performing a 6BT 12v swap on a 98 Chevy K2500 currently running a 5.7 vortec engine and have a few questions about converting the fuel system.
  1. The in-line gas fuel filter. Remove it and replace it with a short length of hose or line?
  2. Both the current, gas, in-tank pump and the Cummins lift pump on the 6BT are brand new. Are both viable options for supplying fuel to the 6BT? Should I pick one over the other? Could I simply run both and have the electric pump feed the mechanical, Cummins pump?
  3. Regardless of which pump(s) is used, I’ve read that the pickup line, filter sock, etc. inside the tank need to be modified for diesel usage. Can someone please provide details on how?

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
#1. Yes, you need to eliminate any pre lift pump filter. The filter system on the engine is adequate.
#2. You do not want any in tank fuel pump in combination with the mechanical lift pump. There should be just a straight draw tube into the tank with a few notches at the bottom to prevent it from sucking to the tank bottom. Must also have a return line if there isn't one there now and that tube should also go to near the bottom of the tank.
#3. One common mistake is not removing the filter sock found on most gas tank pickups. Will cause you grief when used with diesel fuel. One consideration might be to change the entire pickup assembly with one from the same year diesel truck. That pickup may have a sock also but it is designed for diesel fuel, not gas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is my take on it- I read that it causes problems so I pulled them out. Then I did a swap for a super cheap guy in a 90's F150 and he didn't want to pay to drop the tank and pull the pump. I jumpered the fuel pump relay so it ran whenever the key was on and it drove great. 15 years later it's still driving fine that way.

I've done a couple other swaps the same way for the simple lack of time or budget and the only problem i had was if you leave the key on the fuel pump will be running. That can be an issue.

If the in tank pump dies you will be dead in the water. You'll have to pull it and replace with a tube.

If you run out of fuel the in tank pump is awesome for quickly bleeding the system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts