Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
A lot of work

· Registered
34 Posts
dodge gas to diesel swap

This imo is one of the easier swaps. Dodge has done most of the work for you. I drive a 1989 dodge Ram Charger with a cummis 4BTA and 518 transmission. I have driven it for 3 and a half years put 120,000 miles on it. There were very few modifications. The truck actually weigh 100 pounds less than stock. Good Luck

· Registered
156 Posts
Do it, you wont be sorry!!! Look in the database, several have already done it and its a good fit! I swapped a 4bt into a jeep 4 years ago and I dont regret it for a mimute. 25mpg and all the torque I need!

· Registered
5,574 Posts
buying a 2500 already fitted with a cummins would be the easiest deal, but if you're seeking for the fun factor of a swap go ahead... btw among other options than the cummins 4bt and 6bt, some perkins engines such as the 4-236 and 6-354 would be also easy to bolt in...

· Registered
2 Posts
dodge gas to diesel swap This imo is one of the easier swaps. Dodge has done most of the work for you. I drive a 1989 dodge Ram Charger with a cummis 4BTA and 518 transmission. I have driven it for 3 and a half years put 120,000 miles on it. There were very few modifications. The truck actually weigh 100 pounds less than stock. Good Luck
Could you keep the stock trans I heard some one say the gas and diesel transmission are not interchangeable

· Registered
1,898 Posts
Could you keep the stock trans I heard some one say the gas and diesel transmission are not interchangeable
The Dodge diesel transmissions have a different bolt pattern on the bellhousing interface.

p.s. Did you notice that this thread is over 10 years old?

Russ

Reactions: irhunter

· Registered
2 Posts
The Dodge diesel transmissions have a different bolt pattern on the bellhousing interface.

p.s. Did you notice that this thread is over 10 years old?

Russ
Ok if that's the only difference then perhaps the correct plate can solve it or a bell housing swap. I didn't know it was 10 years old but I still got a response so I guess age doesn't matter on this one

· Registered
13,457 Posts
The gas transmission could be adapted to the Cummins but the shift points will not be correct for a diesel. You'd need a SAE 3 adapter and flywheel on the Cummins which is fairly common and an adapter from Phoenix Casting and Machining. That would work with a TF727 or the 46RH (A518). Their part number is 26-02006. No idea of what the price is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts