Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 K5 that blew its 6.2 diesel last week. I need to get this running again or sell it. I've been on the verge of selling it because I don't want to convert it back to gas and I don't want another 6.2. I saw a 4BT for $1500 on ebay and thought I might see if I could swap that in. I have already found mounts for the cummins and such but my main questions are: Can I keep my 700r4(20K on rebuild)? How much wiring work is there to get it all working again? And about how much would it cost to get it all converted over?

I'm on a tight budget since I will be attending Wyotech in the fall for diesel tech. Or should I just store it somewhere and find something else and save it as a project vehicle in the future?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have an 82 K5 that blew its 6.2 diesel last week. I need to get this running again or sell it. I've been on the verge of selling it because I don't want to convert it back to gas and I don't want another 6.2. I saw a 4BT for $1500 on ebay and thought I might see if I could swap that in. I have already found mounts for the cummins and such but my main questions are: Can I keep my 700r4(20K on rebuild)? How much wiring work is there to get it all working again? And about how much would it cost to get it all converted over?

I'm on a tight budget since I will be attending Wyotech in the fall for diesel tech. Or should I just store it somewhere and find something else and save it as a project vehicle in the future?
Hi Mattster, yes you can keep the 700r4 quite a few people on here have. you will need the chevy adapter and associated bits though. If you are lucky the engine might come with it. Wiring is simple, starter, alternator you can reuse your chevy alternator with the correct alt mount (I did mine was a CS130 you will have to change to an 8 way pulley though), water temp and oil pressure senders and last thing I can think of is the fuel cut off solenoid. This can be converted to a cable operated if you wish. It may or may not have grid heaters (this is cummins equivalent of glow plugs that fits in intake above the manifold and heats incommong air if its cold) In the UK no B series engines that I know of had them fitted and sometimes its below freezing during the day in winter so only really needed in the colder climes. thats it. Price well somebody from the US will have to fill you in on that.

Gaza

1 - 2 of 2 Posts