Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on installing my 4bt/nv4500 within the next several weeks. I was wondering what gearshift anyone else chose for their conversion. Mine will include a 3 inch body lift and all of the parts for a dodge. Will a dodge part work or will it be too tall? Also, when installing the clutch kit, will the dodge master cylinder work or will I need to use the jeep part. My only concern with the jeep part is that it may not have enough push for the dodge slave cylinder. I have the master/ slave from NAPA. Any thoughts? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I don't like the dodge shifters.

I take the shifter stub out and drive out the pin that holds in the upper shaft. I straighten out an old 435 shifter with a torch and cut it off just above the pivot. It's the perfect diameter.

Bend the new stick how you want it and drill a hole to put the roll pin through or just weld it in place with a small bead.

With the 435 shifter you can use the stock old 4 speed boots that were in most older rigs and everything looks factory.

I've seen the newer shifters done up decent, but they really don't look nearly as clean as an old skinny stick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. What was the 435? I actually prefer to take something used and modify it for myself, but am not sure what to start with. Thanks again. Carmine

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
New Proces 435 4 speed, NP435. Ford and dodge used them mostly. GM used them sparingly through the early 70's. The 435 ran from mid 60's through the late 80's. Aluminum top, iron case, reverse is over and down.

·
Registered
292 Posts
what year nv4500 it makes a difference.

mine was a 98 nv4500 with the thread on stick. i cut it below the knob threaded it witha metric stud and then threaded a T handle from hurst on there. looked great. bought a univeral boot from napa everything looked clean no one was the wiser

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It shouldn't matter what year it is.

Pretty sure they all use the same pivot stud. The pivot stud is held to the shifter stub with a roll pin. Knock the pin out and the shifter stub whether threaded or square will come out with some heat and wiggling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts