Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very happy with my Cummins ISB 170 powered Dakota and its towed our little 5th wheel all over North America for the last 8 years. I started looking at Ram 2500's a couple of years ago but don't need a big 6 cylinder and heavy truck. I almost bought an Echodiesel but the failure rate is too high and not something I want to worry about on a long trip.
The solution is to build a Cummins ISB 170 powered 1500. :)
Started with a 2014 Hemi powered Laramie and did a few mods before the engine swap. I'm a tire guy so it had to have 37's but the wife did not want a tall truck so I moved the cab back 1 1/4" and up 1 1/2" to get tire clearance. Then added a pair of gorgeous VICE bumpers, onboard air and an air horn.

Reactions: A310 and Fxsu

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the first test fit of the ISB 170 block. It's rebuilt and has a Colt Stage 2 cam for more low/mid range power.
After the Dakota this has a LOT of room around the engine other than under it. The pan hits the steering rack so about 1" has to come off the bottom.

Reactions: Fxsu

·
Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
220 Posts
Are you making a Sae3 to ZF adapter for the trans. Do you think the 8 speed will hold up? My 2015 Hemi Durango ate its ZF up around 90,000 miles. It was wife’s car and was very well maintained, not beat on.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you making a Sae3 to ZF adapter for the trans. Do you think the 8 speed will hold up? My 2015 Hemi Durango ate its ZF up around 90,000 miles. It was wife’s car and was very well maintained, not beat on.
Yes, should have the adapter finished in a couple of weeks.
The 8HP is used in many high HP applications so I'm hoping it will be up to the task. With the low 1st gear and 2 overdrives it should fit well with the ISB. I can also tune the shift points with HP Tuner software.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Just guessing but I think your transmission is he 8HP70 for the Hemi V8. That one has a torque rating of 516 lb ft which should be adequate for the ISB170. Question would be do you need a special torque converter for the Cummins?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes its the 8HP70. I was going to look at the echodiesel converter and ask one of the converter shops about a special one. I have had some very low stall (500RPM) converters built for electric vehicles.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
On the Cummins, most try to stay around 1300 RPM. These engine produce 420 lb ft torque @ 1600 RPM so you'd want the torque converter fully engaged before that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be doing quite a bit of research on the best setup.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks T_Swindler, I have a general truck build thread going here Rambo, Old farts last build
More of the truck build than the engine swap.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me too! ;>) I sure hope it works, a lot of work and money. Pretty much at a stand still now till the adapter is finished, then I can get started on mounts which look dead simple. Actually the whole mechanical side of this looks very easy which only means something is going to Fu.. up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a video done of the Dakota before selling it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More accessory mounting and figured out the best turbo angle. There is just so much room in this truck compared to the Dakota, except for oil pan clearance.
Hope to have the trans adapter this week and at that point I can figure out how much oil pan to modify.

Reactions: Motohead1

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
In order to keep the engine angle reasonable I cut 1 1/4" out of the oil pan. It's mig welded on the outside and then brazed on the inside as well as a coat of POR15 tank sealer for good measures.

Reactions: SUBRUTUS

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then dropped the steering rack 5/8" so in total I gained 1 7/8". I'm not a pro welder but I usually get shit stuck together.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
How much does that reduce your engine oil capacity?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
About 1 liter.

Reactions: Climer97007

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots of progress the last two weeks. Engine to trans adapter arrived from TD Conversions and the engine is now bolted in for good. Worked on getting accessory brackets built and belt routing figured out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts