Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I’ve started to dial in the gears and wanted some opinions on the marks I used the marking compound on. I just want to be sure I have it dialed in. Thanks

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have another question about one of the hubs on the inner side on the outer lip it has some wear I’m not sure how this was caused but figured I’d ask to make sure I won’t have any issues with running it.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thank you it has some excessive wear on the one I took pics of both you can see the one has been rounded slightly by the seal. We are working on the shims as we speak I’ll get pics when we think we have it. Again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You have too much paint on there to get a clear pattern, it's smearing all over. Try checking the pattern this less paint.

Second, since this is a used gear set, are you setting backlash to factory or are you using the number measured before you tore it down?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Factory is what I’m trying for used gear set was not measured beforehand. 2 or 3 of the marks on the dial indicator is what I need correct?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This axle was messed with had a single pin and one set of spider gears in it instead of the 4 I had to buy a new cross pin and the spiders were not used as I installed a Torq locker.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok here’s some pics with excess paint taken off and of the dial indicator the marks I am referring to are on the very outside of dial between 2 and 3 marks of movement.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If I understand you correctly you have way too tight backlash. The needle should move 10 tick marks on the dial, 0.010" or 10 thousands. This is merely a guideline since you have a used gearset.

Loosen up the backlash and re-run the pattern. I would be checking pattern with 0.010-0.015" of backlash on a basket case gearset.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok yes was only at 2 or 3 ticks I’ll set it to between 10 and 15 and recheck. Thank you 🙏 soo much for all the help this is my son and I s first time setting up an axle.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Oh boy, not having a way to measure shims is like the first time undoing a girl's bra clasp in the dark. You are going to fumble quite a bit.

I would strongly suggest getting a tool that can measure shim thickness. 0.003" in shim can make a big difference.

That said, I would try a 0.015" shim about 5 sheets of regular paper.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts