Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
No, remove. Now that we figured out that your backlash was too tight. Your contact shows that the pinion is climbing off the coast side of the tooth. Which means that your pinion is too far. You need to bring the pinion closer to the ring gear.

Recheck backlash on every depth change and readjust accordingly.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #24
After staring at the marks for a good bit would adjusting the backlash from 11 to maybe say 9 put me right on the money? Being the marks are now almost straight across and almost matching the wear line perfectly?

Registered
Your patterns are getting fuzzy and inconsistent again but based on what I see I would remove another 5 thou from the pinion depth shim.

You should clean the paint off the pinion gear every time you do a pattern check as the leftover paint can make the contact patch fuzzy and hard to read.

You can leave the paint on the ring gear just don't add anymore, simply redistribute what has been pushed around.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #30
Ok I鈥檒l take the paint off the pinion and haven鈥檛 added any more paint just used what was there I鈥檒l take a shim out now that I鈥檓 close I should be done tomorrow in the morning. Then have to finish bolting up the rear leaf spring hangers and weld on the new perch鈥檚.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #31
Well I got as good as it was gonna get only accepted one of the thinnest shims it couldn鈥檛 be shimmed any less it the contact patch was dead center and had 0.010 of backlash. Got axle hung and ready for the next steps.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #32
Well guys getting ready to weld the perches I have the axle clocked up towards the transfer case will that give me issues? The reason I鈥檓 doing it is for more clearance for my fuel tank and better ground clearance.

Registered
Then yes it might cause problems depending on how far you rotate the pinion up. I suggest you look at the Spicer Driveline catalog for the proper alignment of a non-CV driveshaft.

Registered
Are you sure you are 鈥渓oading鈥 the gear set when checking ? Used gear sets never seem to mark as well as a new gear set . It took me 4 days do set up my last Dana 60 , and I really don鈥檛 know if it was better than it was marking in the first 30 minutes of work .

21 - 40 of 43 Posts