Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm new here but have been lurking for a long time. I've seen alot of discussions about the GM NV4500 with a p-van adapter. Today I found some real world answers. The stock Chevy bellhousing will bolt to the adapter, however the top bolt for the slave cylinder is completely blocked by the starter boss. There may be enough room to grind for space, but it would be close. Modification will be necessary. This 3.9 4500 setup is going into my 83 full size jeep, so I'll let you know what I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts

I wrote a lot more detail in another thread but basically i used a stock jeep 1980 4cyl slave set up and a custom length rod. two years now and no issues but i don't drive it very often though. clutch feal is good no different than any other truck i have driven. ment to go back and clean it all up but haven't gotten around to it. I have used this slave set up on three tranny set ups. went for a driver side fork but it works well and is cheap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did basically the same thing but with the Chevy setup. Just twist the slave so that the stud in the slave cylinder is sticking out just below the mounting hole on the left, then made a small bracket that goes over the stock hole in the bell housing and the stud in the slave cylinder. Thread the top hole and run a bolt thorugh it into the bell housing to hold the plate in place, and put a nut on the stud from the slave which will clamp the bracket down. Seems to be fine but I haven't run it yet, I know of others that did the same with no problems though.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I ran across some info that might help with a GM4500 swap.
If using a GM flywheel, flywheel housing, and GM bellhousing to mate a B series Cummins to a GM NV4500 then South bend Clutch has two 12" clutches they say will hold up to 250h/p. So this clutch should hold a stock 12v 6bt as well as a 4bt.
SBC# 04154K is organic friction material.
SBC# 04145TZ is a Kevlar friction material
SBC said these are regular GM application clutches nothing exotic or special.
Cummins B engine to GM flywheel Cummins part number; 3913056 This is a good Cummins part number as of this post date, ballpark price is $1100 for a new one.
P.S. I know this thread is a year old but it is in the sticky list so I added the info for those who use the search.

·
Registered
137 Posts
FWIW that ballpark price is very close to what I was quoted a couple months ago, from the Cummins depot in Salt Lake, in person, verified on-screen, so I'd consider it reliable. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts