Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up a 12 valve swap on my 99 suburban, I am using a CS130 alternator because I thought I could run my tach off the alternator like I did before with the CS130D. Both the CS130 and CS130D have "SFLP" 4 prong connectors. The information I got from wiring diagrams is that of the two wires that originally went to the CS130D alternator on my 6.5 diesel, the white is the tach signal and the brown is the voltage indicator. I attempted to wire these up to the new CS130 connector in the same fashion as the CS130D, but the tach signal is not present on the instrument cluster. I know the pulse signal from the tachometer goes to the PCM and is calculated into a signal for the gauge, but I maybe it's confused because it's not getting a signal from the absent 6.5L?

Thank you.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Not sure I know the answer to this problem. One question is why you replaced the CS130D with the CS130. They are two totally different alternators internally. The 130D was an upgrade to the 130. The D doesn't stand for diesel specifically. Have you checked a wiring diagram for each type to be sure the connections are the same? Also, do you have a dash lamp the lights up when you turn on the ignition switch? If that light is there and doesn't turn on the alternator doesn't turn on. A bad light bulb can cause some headaches. Also, is the vehicle computer still getting power? Computers and I are not the best of buddies, but when the ECU doesn't get the right signals all kinds of strange things can happen. From diagrams I've found, the CS130D ran 4 output wires. Red was the battery sensor wire goes to the (S) terminal. Brown is for the ECU which goes to the (F) terminal. Brown with red strip is the lamp wire goes to the (L) terminal. Brown with white stripe is for the rev counter and goes to the (P) terminal. Diagrams I find for the CS130 show the F and P terminals as unused. Not sure what signals they produce if any. Your ECU may not be getting the proper signal from that CS130 F terminal. The CS130 was only used through 1996 so it may not be compatible with your vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I had the 130 and the packaging was easier than the 130D. The ECU is still getting power because the AC and other systems run through it. Both the 130 and 130D have 4 wire connectors, both have SFLP terminals. I'll poke around some more with it tonight. I may just have to make a bracket and run the 130D. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It's possible the phase terminal "P" is not connected internally. Get a DMM, set it to measure AC voltage with at least a 30V range, and measure between the P terminal and ground with the engine running. This will tell you if the P is internally connected to one of the stator leads.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Max, I suspect you're correct. Even though the 130 has 4 terminals doesn't mean they are all active. On the 130D all are active for sure.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The 130 I had on my truck when it still had the small block in it didn't have any output on the phase terminal. The 6.2 diesels with a tach used a different part # alternator that did have the phase output active.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts