Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My experience is with Cummins/Dodge NV-4500's. My next truck will require a 2 wheel drive NV-4500 driving a Divorced T Case.

I have located a GM-NV-4500, 2 wheel drive with the short Tailhousing and fixed Yoke.
The GM NV-4500 comes with the following;
NV-4500
Bell Housing is for a Small Block Engine
Manual Transmission Flywheel
Starter
Clutch and Hydraulic Throwout

I already have a Cummins/GM Flywheel Housing.

Am I correct in thinking that the Small Block Bell Housing will bolt to the Cummins/GM flywheel housing and all be a bolt up Plug and Play ? The entire clutch will be replaced prior to install. Am I missing anything.

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
You'll have to get a bellhsg from a Dodge NV4500 then flywheel hsg . Smallblock GM won't work . You'll also have to change the input shaft from the smallblock to a Dodge input shaft for the diesel motor . Also have to get a flywheel for a Dodge/Cummins diesel. Also starter, also Dodge/Cummins clutch, try & keep Hyd T/O brg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why not? Is there something w/the GM Cummins adapter that doesn't let you use a GM bellhousing???

Explain. GM stuff is nearly universally interchangeable on gas motors, so I am very curious why it won't work in this application.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charlie;
I see no reason for any of the Dodge Application Equipment. The Cummins/GM Flywheel housing mates to a small block BH for a SM-465. Since the NV-4500 BH is for a small block, why wont it mate to the Cummins/GM Flywheel Housing. Same goes for the flywheel and starter, all used with the Small Block BH and the SM-465. I believe its all plug and play but hoped to hear from someone who actually installed a GM NV-4500 behind a Cummins.\

Paul

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the biggest catch is the flywheel and clutch. You have to procure the chevy/cumming flywheel and I think a 454 clutch. The flywheel seems to be the biggest hassle. I am trying to iron this issue out also for my fj60 conversion. I have an NV4500 in it allready and am ready to pull out the old small block chevy and put in the cummins. I am anticipating the bell housing and clutch fork to work from the sbc setup.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm in the boat myself. I just bought a '94 GM NV4500, 2WD, that will be powering a divorced NP200. I asked Lee the same question and he said he had to use a CTD input shaft, along with the CTD bellhousing and flywheel.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, all looks well. From past collecting, I have a GM/Cummins Flywheel and The clutch that was mounted on it. I can get the clutch numbers off the old parts so I can replace them with new. Looks like I am good to go. Thanks Guys.

Paul

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone have a supplier of the chevy to cummins flywheel? I am going to need one pretty soon. I can call Profitts cruisers, but I think going direct to a supplier would be faster.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Paul, sorry about the mis-guided info ! I must have been half asleep when I posted my response plus I didn't notice you had the GM/Cummins adapter plate .

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crza1;
I picked up one on Ebay. Search 'Cummins' in Ebay Motors. They dont show up to often.

Charlie
No problem ! I have the Cummins/GM Flywheel Housing Adapter and Flywheel. I'm good to go.

Paul

·
'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser
1,660 Posts
The issue I think is correct amount of fluid to move the internal slave. never been a fan of internal slaves also because they can fail and when they do you have to pull the whole clutch. If you do you the internal slave, see if you can match the correct GM master and also measure your pedal travel to have it match up, otherwise you will have to do some mixing and matching and it can get complicated...

My personal recommendation is use the Advance Adapters bellhousing that switches it to an external slave. Also use a 454 Muscle **CAR** clutch instead of the 4BT part number (which is a fancy and expensive # for what shows up: a '68-'98 454 truck clutch), the car clutches are shorter overall throw required.. Proffitt's Cruisers in Colorado (proffittscruisers.com) uses a 11.75" 454 car part number with all of their swaps into Toyota Land Cruisers, lets them use the factory TLC slaves and masters with no issues...

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I'm in the boat myself. I just bought a '94 GM NV4500, 2WD, that will be powering a divorced NP200. I asked Lee the same question and he said he had to use a CTD input shaft, along with the CTD bellhousing and flywheel.

Your 94 Gm Nv4500 trans will not bolt up to the dodge Bellhousing,

94-95 Gm Nv4500 have a different bellhousing bolt spacing than the dodges,96-2000 Gm Nv4500 will bolt up.

Scott

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Your 94 Gm Nv4500 trans will not bolt up to the dodge Bellhousing,

94-95 Gm Nv4500 have a different bellhousing bolt spacing than the dodges,96-2000 Gm Nv4500 will bolt up.

Scott
Thanks for the heads up. Time to get creative...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Your trans will work fine, As said above, just purchase the replacement bellhousing from Advance Adaptors.
Hello,
Is this bellhousing a Chevy (using bread van Chevy adapter plate) to NV4500, or Dodge to NV4500 (using Dodge CTD adapter?
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
9 Posts
93 and 94 chevy NV4500's also have the 6.34 first gear and the dodge input cannot be swapped in. www.high-impact.net has a lot of good NV4500 info.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hello,
Would another option for my '94 GM NV4500 to find a breadvan GM adapter and keep the stock GM bellhousing?
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hello,
Would another option for my '94 GM NV4500 to find a breadvan GM adapter and keep the stock GM bellhousing?
Thanks,
Mikel
If I did this, would the 6BT flywheel work with this?
Thanks,
Mikel

1 - 20 of 38 Posts