Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have a late 1993 GM NV4500 transmission that I assumed was the old style, with the 6.3:1 first gear. I Painted some marks in the input/output shafts, put the thing in first gear and turned the input shaft while watching the output do a full revolution. I counted about 5.5:1, which would indicate this is a newer style trans. Are there any external signs that would tell me what I have?
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
808 Posts
Look on the top cover. You should find a bar code label with the GM Assembly Number and the GM Code. The Bar Code Label is the only location with this information. If Its missing..............well.

Paul

GM, NV-4500
Model Year 1993
6.34:1 Ratio Gear Set (only ratios listed for this model year)

Model GM Assembly Number GM Code Type of Engine

4x2
C Truck 15960760 GXW GAS
15966631 GZB 6,5 T/Diesel
15960763 GXF 6.2 Diesel
4x4
K Truck 15960761 GXC GAS
15966632 GZC 6.5 T/Diesel
15960764 GXG 6.2 Diesel
P Truck 15954757 GWY Without Yoke
15954756 GWX With Yoke

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry, for some reason posting this info lost the format. I had it all in nice columns ...arrrg LOL . The 8 digit number is the GM Assembly Number. And the 3 letter Alpha Code is the GM Code.

Paul

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The first gen Gm had like a 10'' xx bolt spacing and 96 and new was like 11'' xx.

I can post the right size later.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
Unfortunately the sticker with the bar code is gone. I have a bellhousing from a late 90's Dodge CTD 5sp. If it bolts to this transmission, there will be no question that this is a later style trans, right?
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
808 Posts
Without the bar code sticker, you may have some problems if you need to order parts ?

Yes, 1996 and Up GM & 1993 and UP Dodge NV-4500's have the same
Bell House Pattern on the transmission side of the BH. The Engine side of the BH must be matched to the proper Cummins flywheel housing adapter ie; Cummins GM for GM or Cummins Dodge for Dodge

Paul

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is a tag on the side showing the date 03 04 94. It came from a '95 GMC 3500 truck with the big block.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
That 94 build date is the first gen Gm and the have a smaller bolt pattern for the bellhousing.If your plans are to use a dodge bellhousing ,the input can't be swaped out for the dodge and the bellhousing won't bolt up .

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
It looks like an early model to me.. The earlier models have the clutch for setup versus the later ones that have an internal slave/throwout combo. the years are definitely right. Has it been rebuilt? That would be the only way the ratio was changed...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Frito Lay P30 Chevy adapter plate that I was going to use with this transmission. The Dodge CTD flywheel I have seems to be about 1/2" larger in diameter than the Frito Lay Van flexplate. Would I need a SM465 flywheel from another Frito Lay truck??
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got some time to have a closer look at this transmission. Looks like I have a weird transitional model with the 5.5:1 first gear and the old bellhousing bolt pattern. My Dodge CTD bellhousing will not fit.:(

·
Registered
71 Posts
My NV4500 is dual drilled to fit either bellhousing. I've never seen a 4500 that did not have the "meat" to drill the other two holes to fit the other bellhousing.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My NV4500 is dual drilled to fit either bellhousing. I've never seen a 4500 that did not have the "meat" to drill the other two holes to fit the other bellhousing.
I think you are right. Given that I have the later 5.5 first gear, I should be able to swap a Dodge CTD input shaft, right? I know the right thing to do would be to get a Dodge trans, but 2WD ones are very rare here, and the tailshaft housing is very long.
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Well even if you have the room to redrill for the bolts you'll still have the problem with in input shaft .If you had both dodge and first gen Gm you could see the different styles of input shafts.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also have an early 5.61 ratio Chevy NV4500. I believe it was dual drilled from Advance Adapters. A 5.61 Chevy input can be changed to the equivalent Dodge.

Pull your current input shaft, count the teeth and call the tranny shop. They can tell you if the Dodge will interchange. I'm confident it will. I believe the Dodge is a 22T. If yours is 22T then they will interchange. You will also need to change the bearing retainer etc. I had the tranny house assemble a new bearing and seal as part of my swap so it was real easy to make the change.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How much of you current setup fits the new Dodge bellhousing? I'm thinking the two upper bolt holes and the large indexing hole??? Therefore the two lower bolts don't fit?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts